Chapter 15 On the Road (Part 3)

The journey continues and now they are almost at the border. Here there are few roads none of them are well maintained as the only ones that use them are farmers and maybe in some rare locations small merchant caravans. That is to say that these roads are rarely used so there has been so the lord of this place doesn't bother with spending money on maintaining it. Where as far as the eye can see there are only meadows and fields as far as the eye can see. With the occasional stream, lake, and Village. This place is very peaceful and quiet and they have decided to let the horses rest for a little while as they have arrived and one of the few villages here. Most villages here are so small that they do not even appear on the map and it includes this one. Of course with this place being so small, with around 50 villagers living here. Together with visitors rarely visiting here, it is to say that they have become the center of attention. And without them needing to call the village head he has already arrived to greet them as he has been informed by one of the residents. He of course was very respectful as a big caravan this large with guards can only mean that these people are nobels. So he spoke with one of the guards asking what they were doing here as something important must have happened for them to arrive here. 

Lucius decides to speak with him himself after all he is the one asking for a temporary place to stay while the horses rest. Not only do they need a place to stay the horses also need to have a place to rest and eat. As the person in charge, it is only respectful that he handles this. So he walks out and reaches out his hand to Maryden hoping to lead her out. He gives her a charming smile. But she doesn't notice as she stares at the hand reaching out for her.  She stares blankly until she finally realizes what he wants to do. So she puts her hand on his and he gently helps her out. He glances at her and can see her slightly red ears. Seeing this he smiles even more but doesn't say anything. The 2 of them walk towards the village head while the villagers stare at them with curiosity. Although this place chares a border between both countries this place was never in the war zone since this place is also where they charge border to the harsh lands. Due to many factors as a higher concentration of demon beasts and many conflicting tribes over time, this place was left alone as no one wanted to conquer this piece of land even though it was km away from the harsh lands. It is superstition but it also made this place unharmed by the war. so it is safe to say that this may be the first time that most of them have seen Dyrkians before. And with Lucius being the most handsome of the bunch he has rescived the curiosity of the villagers. Maryden also receives a lot of attention with her unusual hair color and with her covering half of her face with a silver mask. 

Lucius: "Are you the village head?"

The village head: " Ah, yes sir."

Lucius: " You see we have traveled for many days and me and my wife are wondering if you can spare a place for our horses to eat and rest for a few hours. Of course, we will pay you. "

The village head: "Ah, so that's it. ( He then glances at Maryden and seems to realize something) do you need a room for you and your wife to rest in? After all, it is much more enjoyable to spend some quality time when you're not on the move."

Lucius: " That would be great but we dont want to impose."

The village head: " Nonsense, me and my wife are living alone since your daughter moved away so we do have a spare room. I also breed horses for a living and I do have a spare pasture that your horses can rest in. Just follow me and I will show you."

The 2 of them as well as 4 servents leading their 8 horses follow them. The pasture he was talking about is the first one that they are passing and it is empty. The servant leads the horses in and then they walk back to get horse food and water. Then the village head leads the couple to his house and just outside his house is another pasture where all his horses are known. Maryden notices them and she can not help but to stop to watch them. As her favorite animals are birds then horses are a close second. After all in her earlier years in the war, she did have a horse who fought beside her. He was a magnificent liver chestnut stallion. He was fierce and brave also very loyal. But when he died 2 years ago she never got a new one. It is not like she didn't have a horse to ride it is just that she never got her own new horse. First of all, she wanted to mourn her horse for at least a year before she got a new one and later the fight escalated and she never got the time to get a new one. Besides she doesn't want any other horse, she wants a brave and strong horse that she can trust to have her back in battle. While the war is over now she still wants a horse fit for a knight, after all, there is a high chance that she will still fight with her sword as she is now living in the harsh lands and it would be strange if there were no conflict with any tribes men or demon beasts. So as a swords master, it is impossible for her. not to fight.

But the horses here look very spirited and strong so there must be one that could be suitable for her. These horses look a little different from what she is used to. These horses are bigger and stockier. They look like they are a breed of draft horse but also dont. It is like they are something in the middle. They vary in color but all of them have a two-color mane.  Even though they look very strong they also look very regal which is the perfect combination. Lucius notices her staring at the horses so he walks to stand beside her to look at and he also falls in love with them. He is an even bigger horse enthusiast than Maryden. When the Village head saw this he smiled with pride and walked towards them too.

 The Village head:" Arent they beauties."

 Lucius: " Yes."

 The Village head: " Hahaha, you have good taste, unlike other nobels. All they want are element horses only to pretty up their carriages, not horses like these that are sturdy, fast, and have high endurance and reliable. Well, most of all they dont like it that I have mixed in some horse breeds from the native horses from the harsh lands."

Maryden: " From the harsh lands?"

The Village head: " Yes, there are times when some of the more peaceful tribes travel here to trade and they bring their magnificent horses with them. I fell in love and eminently bought 5 of them of 2 different breeds. Then I bred them with the ones I already had and the result was magnificent. I could not go back since then, so I only brought more and perfected this breed that you have in front of you right now. I call them Niverford after the two first breeds that I bought."

The Village head: " But you two must be soldiers or knights right?"

Lucius: " How did you know that both of us are?"

The Village head: " Hahaha, there are only 3 types of buyers I have for their horses. One is farmers, two is soldiers and three are tribesmen. Only soldiers can fit your description. Besides how can I not tell that your little wife fell in love with them first."

Hearing him call Maryden his little wife Lucius can't help but smile. 

Lucius: " As expected of a village head, you have great foresight."

The Village head: " Ah, it ain't that much. Say, if you want I can let you go for a little stroll with my horses and if you like them you can buy 1 or 2. After all, I planned to sell 10 horses for this season and I only managed to sell 6. Wouldn't going for a ride be a perfect date?"

Lucius did plan to buy a horse for his wife. After all, soldiers love horses and obviously from her reaction his wife is the same. And because he noticed that she did not bring along her personal horse with her. He can obviously assume that her horse must have fallen in battle. Seeing her longing for these horses he knows that she wants one so he is rest assured that gifting her one would not hurt her. Her horse must have died for some time so she must have moved on. If she remembers correctly she did have a liver chestnut horse during the battle of Bayloon River 3 years ago. Although he did not fight in it personally he could see the good relationship between them when he studied the battle through his binoculars. So that must have been her personal horse. Hearing what the village head said Maryden's eyes started to glow under her mask and said: " Is that alright?"

Lucius: smiles and says: " Of course, I can buy one if you want one, my horse will soon be retired so I need a new one also."

The village head: " Wonderful, I will show you your room first and then lead you two to the horses up for sale. You can decide which you want to test ride."

Lucius: "Alright."

It did not take long for them to finally arrive at the stable and choose a horse. Both of them asked about the horse's temperaments and how healthy they were until they finally decided. The one Lucius chose was a rose gray stallion with a black and gray mane. Maryden, on the other hand, chose a Perlino mare with a black and white mane. The village head showed them to the track room and let them saddle the horses. Then he told them about a trail track that they could take that is about 40 min long. He did not worry that they would run off with the horses since he knew that they needed to return to their carriages later. The 2 of them thanked him and took off and started galloping.