Chapter 9

It was 10 minutes to 7, and Zohra and Maelys had just finished getting ready. Maelys looked stunning, as if she were headed for a red carpet event. They chatted and laughed together as the evening excitement built, and just then, a car horn blared from below. Maelys hurried to the window and was surprised to see Laurent's car waiting outside. Curious, Zohra joined her, and they both watched as Laurent stepped out of the car and rang the doorbell.

Zohra buzzed him in via the intercom, and a few minutes later, there was a knock on the apartment door. Zohra opened it, and Laurent stepped inside. He seemed in a hurry but paused to admire Maelys from head to toe. For a moment, he forgot what he wanted to say, and Maelys and Zohra exchanged questioning glances. "What brings you here, Laurent?" Zohra inquired as she closed the front door.

"I'm here to pick up Maelys; we need to hurry because Hélène and my father are already at the restaurant," Laurent replied. Maelys raised an eyebrow. "I thought Hélène was coming to get me. I didn't even know you were joining." She rolled her eyes, and Laurent sighed, sounding slightly irritated. "Should I leave, then?" Laurent asked with a hint of annoyance. "I don't have time for this. Hélène and my father arranged to meet at the restaurant earlier, and I was only instructed to pick you up." Maelys sighed and picked up her clutch from the couch.

"Sorry, Laurent. Thanks for coming to get me," Maelys said as she approached him. "You're welcome," he replied, winking playfully at her.

Once in the car, a tense silence hung in the air. "Who's going to be at the dinner tonight?" Maelys finally asked, turning toward Laurent as he navigated through the streets of Paris towards the restaurant.

"An important business partner," Laurent began, keeping his eyes on the road. "He's been investing in the club for nearly eight years, and the collaboration has always been successful. I'm not supposed to tell you this, but as you may have noticed, everyone has been on edge lately. An old acquaintance of Hélène has opened a new club in Montmartre, and she's determined to put us out of business. She has also cast doubt on our investors, hence the dinner tonight."

Maelys frowned. "So, we're supposed to remind him of the successful partnership we've had. But what does that have to do with me? Why do I have to come along?" Laurent barely took his eyes off the road. "Because anyone can see from miles away that you have tremendous potential. Hélène wants to introduce you to some partners to demonstrate how much potential our club still has."

Maelys chuckled briefly. "So, I'm like bait, then?" They both shared a laugh at her comment.

Laurent turned his head to Maelys and looked her over before sighing. "You look absolutely stunning tonight." Maelys felt herself blush and quickly turned her head away.

Upon arrival at the restaurant, a valet approached and opened the car doors. Maelys was awed; it was certainly an elegant restaurant. As they stood in front of the entrance, Laurent offered his arm. Maelys took it, and together, they walked inside. They were slightly later than planned, which visibly bothered Laurent, who had a strong aversion to being late.

They were greeted by a female hostess as they entered. She inquired about their reservation, and after confirming, she escorted them to their table. The grand dining room was adorned with intricate gold details and ceiling paintings that added to its opulence.

As they approached the table, Maelys began to feel tension creeping up. She gently squeezed Laurent's arm. "Don't worry; it's just a friendly dinner. I'm here with you," Laurent reassured her.

At the table, they found Hélène, Lucien, and an unknown man. Hélène looked stunning in her dress, and both Lucien and the stranger were impeccably dressed in suits.

Everyone at the table greeted them with broad smiles as they approached. The unknown man stood up from his chair, and Laurent introduced Maelys to him. "Maelys, it's lovely to meet you. Laurent has told me so much about you," the man said enthusiastically as he shook Maelys' hand. "This is Alfonso, a longtime friend of the club," Laurent added. "Nice to meet you, and thank you for the invitation tonight," Maelys replied with a warm smile.

When they were about to take their seats at the table, Laurent pulled out Maelys' chair and sat down beside her, giving her a quick wink. Maelys sensed that it was going to be an important and enjoyable evening, and she was determined to make a good impression on the investors.

Throughout the evening, they discussed dance, music, and the club, all of Maelys' favorite topics. Alfonso appeared particularly interested in her, asking her many questions. Hélène was extremely proud of Maelys and spoke glowingly about her. The stern Hélène they were accustomed to had vanished that evening, allowing them to build a genuine connection.

As the evening drew to a close after dinner, it was clear that the alcohol had been flowing freely. Maelys didn't usually drink so much, but living in Paris had certainly changed that. Laurent was exceptionally cheerful, beaming next to Maelys, and the atmosphere was incredibly convivial, with even Lucien laughing constantly.

As they wrapped up dinner, Alfonso expressed his gratitude. He stood up from the table and turned to Maelys. "You are a very special lady, and the club is very lucky to have you as a dancer. Hopefully, we will see each other again next time." He also winked at Lucien before leaving, casually settling the bill for hundreds of euros as if it were a mere formality. Lucien heaved a sigh of relief.

At the table, Laurent leaned toward Maelys, his hand on her leg. "You were amazing, everyone is so impressed by you," he praised. Maelys chuckled innocently, and the effects of alcohol were clearly taking hold. She leaned closer to Laurent, bringing them face to face. "And what about you? Are you impressed too?" Laurent gently bit his lip and glanced briefly at Hélène and Lucien, who were engrossed in a discussion about the club. Laurent's hand moved up her neck, pulling her closer. He gazed deeply into her eyes. "Me? I've never been more impressed by anyone," he confessed. Maelys alternated her gaze between his eyes and his lips, finding it hard to contain herself.

Their intimate moment was abruptly disrupted by Lucien. "Laurent, Hélène and I thought it would be nice to have some drinks at our place." He turned his gaze to Maelys. "Maelys, would you like that?" She nodded enthusiastically, not wanting the enjoyable evening to end. Laurent nodded in agreement but with a hint of doubt. "I'm just concerned that none of us will be able to drive," he said, chuckling.

Meanwhile, Lucien was getting fairly drunk and slammed his hand on the table. "Then it's a taxi!" The four of them exited the restaurant, swaying playfully as they hailed a taxi van.

In the taxi, Hélène and Lucien took the front seats. Maelys attempted to sit in the back, but a misstep nearly led her out of the van again. Laurent, who was behind her, tried to prevent her from falling and quickly placed his hand on her bottom. They both fell silent, and Maelys turned to him, making a cheeky remark, "Smooth, aren't we?" They sat together in the back, and Laurent was pleased by her teasing.

The taxi drove them through the beautiful landmarks of Paris, right through the city center. They continued deeper into the city, and the atmosphere inside the van was vibrant and cheerful. Laurent's hand had been on Maelys's leg for the entire ride, and she leaned against him. When she looked up, she saw Laurent's perfect face. Gently, she ran her fingertips through his soft hair, and tufts fell forward. This was where she wanted to be, with Laurent. His hand inched higher up her leg, and Maelys playfully blew him an air kiss. He chuckled softly and leaned closer, bringing them even closer together.

But then, Zohra's words suddenly echoed in Maelys' mind: Hélène disapproved of this. Knowing that Hélène was sitting right in front of them, Maelys reluctantly distanced herself a bit, despite how painful it felt.

Laurent furrowed his brows and pulled her back. "I don't like it when you're so far away," he said, kissing her forehead. Maelys couldn't help herself and placed a few kisses on his neck, causing Laurent to let out an almost inaudible sigh. Lucien and Hélène were having such a great time that they were oblivious to the covert flirtation between Laurent and Maelys.

As the taxi entered a posh residential area just outside of Paris, they pulled up in front of the most impressive villa of them all. The driver announced their arrival, and they all stumbled out of the van toward the grand front door.