Chapter 7

I was back at my place after three days of being babied by my mom and my sisters

I was back at my place after three days of being babied by my mom and my sisters. In addition to Naka's visit, Nella and Aisha had visited a couple of times and the brief stay back home was a great way to refresh and leave behind some of the stress that was contributing to my health issues.

I planned to spend the remainder of my sick leave recovering completely, and what better way to do that than read myself back to health? It was with this question in mind that I descended the stairs to the package room at my building, excited to collect the next three volumes of Martin Banda's Love at Second Sight comic, which was the project he was currently working on.

The comic followed a guy and girl who'd overlooked each other for years before they finally noticed each other and started to develop feelings. I'd ordered the first three volumes he'd released almost as soon as the link to the comic had been generated, because that's how much I loved his work. There was a little pang in my chest as I took the box, though, my mind recalling memories  of Koffi and I reading Martin's comics together and making me nostalgic.

I was surprised when I found two boxes in my package locker. I knew for a fact I'd only ordered the books recently, so I was almost convinced the delivery people had misplaced someone's package, but then I noticed my name written on it in a scraggly handwriting that I was overly familiar with, so I put the box onto the little cart with the box that held my new books and made it back upstairs with curiosity coursing through me.

I couldn't open the other box fast enough, now having temporarily forgotten all about Martin's new books in favour of whatever this would be. Inside the box was another black box with a note attached to it on the top. I pulled the note off and put it aside to get into later and opened the black box.

In it was a smaller, round box of fancy, preserved white roses, which smelled amazing, two brand new journals, one pure white and one white and gold marble, and a few bars of Tomblerone, my absolute favourite chocolate, which I only had once in a while, now that I had to watch my diet.

My eyes welled up a little as I recalled how mean I'd been to him the last time we saw each other, and yet Koffi had gone all out to send me this beautiful and thoughtful get better soon gift. I felt so sad in that moment, I wasn't sure I wanted to open the note, but I swallowed my nerves and took the note from where I'd put it on the couch.

Folding my legs beneath me on the couch, I was finally ready to read it's contents.

Hi, K...

I heard you've been out of the hospital for a couple of days now. I'd much rather visit you, but since our blowup the last time we saw each other, I'm thinking it's best if I just send you the things you like.

I know this probably doesn't mean anything to you, but I'm sorry for overstepping my boundaries, K. I wish you wouldn't push me away so much, but I get why you do. I'll respect your wishes and stay away, but I hope you get well soon and take good care of yourself.