Chapter 23

"Ehh, girl! Are you trying to give this man a heart attack?!" Naka said as I walked into the living room in a patterned maxi skirt with a high slit, a black corset top and strappy black sandals

"Ehh, girl! Are you trying to give this man a heart attack?!" Naka said as I walked into the living room in a patterned maxi skirt with a high slit, a black corset top and strappy black sandals. I had on golden jewellery and had done a subtle makeup look, my braids loose and flowing down my back.

"Is it too much?" I asked Naka as I sprayed on some perfume and checked myself in the mirror for the umpteenth time.

"Not at all, Ketura." she smiled. "You're stunning. Absolutely gorgeous."

"Thank you." I smiled and glanced at the time.

Koffi would be here to pick me up in a few minutes for our first date since the recent development in our relationship. I had no idea what he had planned for us, but he'd made sure to tell me what he was going for so I wouldn't be over or underdressed. I felt good as I sprayed on more perfume and made sure I'd packed everything I needed into my bag.

"I've done everything I can to pass the time. I don't know what to do with myself now, Naka." I said ruefully as I awkwardly stood in the living room not wanting to sit and crease my skirt.

Naka laughed, her eyes full of amusement. "Serves you right for getting ready too early. You have thirty minutes to go. And you know Koffi is an on-time kind of guy. Why didn't you wait a little?"

"Because!" I lamented dramatically. "I'm nervous about tonight. I know I shouldn't be. He's Koffi. I know him. And he knows me, but this feels so... new? I don't know how to explain it."

"Let's see..." Naka offered, "Could it be because this is the very first date you're going on that all your friends and sisters know about?"

"I guess that's part of it." I shrugged, eyes darting to the clock again.

"What's the other part?" Naka queried with confused lines between her eyes.

"What if..." I paused and took a second to really think through my heightened nerves. "What if he chickens out? What if basketball was never the reason for the commitment issues? What if that's just him, and he can't commit and I'm fooled a second time?"

"Okay, but what if that's not the case? What if he's ready to be everything you ever wanted? Hasn't he shown you that much?" Naka's face was sympathetic as she took my hands and said her next words, "Girl, you two won't get through the next three months without trust, okay? I know you've got all these worries that are valid, but you heard the guy, he wants to start afresh, give you something different. You have to let him. Try not to think too much about the past."

Before I could say anything in response, there was a knock on the door. Naka and I exchanged an anxious look and she squeezed my hands with a nod. My heart was now beating frantically and I had to take a few deep breaths as I walked to the door.

Okay, here we go.

I opened the door to a big bouquet of sunflowers and Koffi's slightly flushed face as he took in my outfit, his eyes slowly roaming the length of my body.