Chapter 27

Reader discretion: Chapter contains sexual descriptions, please read with caution.

~~~

After a long day of doing research for two domestic abuse cases and a sexual assault case that was driving me crazy, I wanted nothing more than to spend a few hours in Koffi's presence

After a long day of doing research for two domestic abuse cases and a sexual assault case that was driving me crazy, I wanted nothing more than to spend a few hours in Koffi's presence. I knew that just being with him was sure to take the edge off, so I made a stop at my place to change into something less formal and grab a container of muffins I'd baked the night before, knowing that would put a smile on his face. After strapping Bonbon's dog carrier into the back seat and making sure he was comfortable, I was on my way.

Koffi was preparing for a big trip overseas, having signed an endorsement deal with a major sports apparel company. He'd be gone for a week and the thought of him being that far away for that long had me ready to speed through the streets of Kitalo City to spend as much time with him as possible.

I hadn't informed him that I'd come by, wanting it to be a surprise since he thought I'd be working all day, so I understood when he opened the door and stared at me with a look of surprise on his face. What I didn't understand was why he froze on the doorstep, instead of hugging and kissing me like he usually did, or why he looked so nervous.

I shook my head at the unpleasant flashbacks that were coming to the forefront of my mind. Koffi and I were good, there was no way he could have been sneaking around with another woman behind my back. As if to challenge this thought, a woman's voice called out, "Koffi, is everything okay?"

My eyebrows were close to my hairline as I forced myself to stay put instead of pushing past him to see who had spoken. My heart was pounding as Koffi made matters worse by telling whoever she was that he'd be back and then walking into the hallway and shutting the door behind him. This man!

I put the dog carrier and the container down next to me and folded my arms, my whole stance already indicating that I was in fight mode, but Koffi seemed completely oblivious as he tried to understand what was up with the sudden shift in my mood.

"Koffi, what's going on here?" I asked through clenched teeth, earning myself a confused look from him, as if I was overreacting to his suspicious behaviour.

"Hey, why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"I wanted to surprise you. Clearly this is a bad time. Who is she, Koffi?" I had no patience to drag this out. If I was about to leave his place angry, it was best to do it as soon as possible.

"My mom?" he said, even more confused at the clipped tone I'd just used.

"Are you asking me?" I said, growing more irritated.