4 - THE CUT THAT ALWAYS BLEEDS

"alright- thank you bye, bye!"

Adalia is stressed, first of all her commissioner cancelled even though she finished the painting and they want their money back, her deadline for the first draft of her book is in a week, and Wilbur- Wilbur well..

Why is she stressed with him?

She doesn't know because she hasn't seen him in about a week.

He's off doing his dream career, he's off being a rockstar.

She feels happy for him, she knows that that's what he's always wanted and despite their obvious rocky relationship she wishes the best for him.

why does she still care for him?

He gave her shit for a year, even if she gave it first he gave it ten times back, he broke up with her OVER THE PHONE ON HER BIRTHDAY??

She shakes the feeling off, she has to get this painting finished.

She's focused, ready to paint for hours and hours when suddenly - a noise interrupts her music and her creative flow.

She groans, putting the paint brush down and going to answer the call. She picks her phone up and stared at the contact name.

Why is Wilbur soot calling her at 06:30 ?

"Wilbur, what the fuck?" Adalia says on her side of the call; picking the paint brush back up and starting to paint a base colour.

"Adalia em i Need a favour?"

His voice is rushed and his words are jumbling together.

"Yes?"

"How would you well, perceive a car on fire in a sort of 1960's style home?" Wilbur says, what the fuck?

"what, Wilbur, why?" Adalia makes a confused face, even if Wilbur can't see her. "It's for a cover for our new song," He sounds happy when mentioning the new song. "well, em the car has to be old to match the house I think, not too old but not to new either, it's not exploding in flames father just a still fire and just like massive hole in the roof, but that's what anybody would've said anyway," Adalia tells him, she tried to picture it in her head and it looked awesome, but it was hard to describe it over the phone.

"Thank you so much!" He sounds really thankful, he had no idea what shape or era or whatever the house should be or if it should even be a car crashing into a house. "You don't mind if i tell the artist we're hiring your vision... do you?" Wilbur asks politely and Adalia hums. "No it's fine, don't worry," Adalia smiles, glad Wilbur asked even if it's not copyrighted or anything.

"Also- erm.. do you wanna get a drink with me tonight? And the band of course,"

"Aren't you on tour?"

"Erm nobody has to know, I'll buy you a train ticket," Wilbur says slyly.

"Why the fuck do I want to say yes?" Adalia sighs, looking around the studio and all the unfinished pieces. "Maybe another time, wil, I've got to paint," Adalia days through a heavy sigh, she still resents Wilbur but it's nice to have a drinking group. Caroline is always busy partying with her other friends and Adalia doesn't have time to make any other friends.

Adalia hears Wilbur's disappointed sigh through his end of the call.

"i have to go, Wilbur,"

"Wait- why are you up so early?" Wilbur murmurs, he's trying to keep her on the call. "I could ask the same thing to you." Adalia taunts, she sets her paintbrush down and puts paint onto the palette and waits for Wilbur's answer.

"I've been up on my guitar all night, I'll get some sleep later in the day." Wilbur responds after a few moments of pause. "I always get up this early," Adalia responds, answer for an answer. "I get up at five, and I go to sleep at like nine," she laughs gently, "you used to-" Wilbur gets cut off by Adalia's voice. "We haven't spoken in four years Wilbur, I've changed," Adalia speaks, she walks over to her portable heater and pulls it out, switching it on and walking back over to the easel and various canvases littered around.