Chapter 3 - Bonding with a Unicorn

September 18

Talulah woke up, and immediately checked to see if she had dreamt the whole scenario. But as she looked around and saw that her new room was real, Talulah couldn't help but let out a quiet laugh. Even though it was right in front of her, she still couldn't believe it. Talulah didn't have time to believe it though, because Rory, Ava, and Valentina had suddenly opened the door, all of them feeling eager to show her around the academy. Talulah jumped at the sudden slam of the doors opening, but recovered before any of her dorm mates noticed. Valentina talked endlessly about how Talulah was going to be one of the most popular kids at school before the day was over, Ava kept squealing and getting excited over how much Talulah was going to love finding her unicorn, and Rory ate a banana at an alarming pace while mentioning the best secret rooms in the academy that he could show her. Politely asking the trio to leave so she could get dressed, Talulah brushed her hair in front of the mirror, but stopped when she saw the box that held her tiara. Talulah wore that tiara everyday, no matter what. But now that she was starting over, especially since she was trying to leave her royal life behind, Talulah just shoved the box in the top left drawer. The sight of her old headpiece left Talulah feeling down, but a knock on the door from Rory interrupted her spiral. Talulah went off to breakfast with the rest of Sapphire Dorm, and managed to forget the tiara, listening to the gang talking and messing around without a care in the world. But as much as she wanted to relax and join them, she couldn't. It felt like an instinct to hold her posture and act sophisticated, despite hating every second of it.

Right off the bat, Rory started noticing things about Talulah that he hadn't seen the day before. During breakfast, while the rest of them ate their food and messed around with each other, Talulah kept her posture and ate with delicacy. She'd hold her breath when an adult addressed her, always worried that she came off rude to the teachers, even when she had responded with dignity and respect. Rory didn't necessarily believe the life of a royal was easy, but he didn't think Talulah's routine and life would be so demanding. Even when everyone told her that she could relax, she kept her head held up and had the same regal, fake smile on her face. Everybody knew the fake smiles weren't directed at them in a mocking manner, but the students couldn't figure out why Talulah wasn't letting her guard down. The rest of the students rode off to Wonder Wood Forest, ready to meet Talulah's unicorn. But Rory stayed next to Talulah the whole time, trying to figure out a way he could help her relax.

Rory - "You alright, Talulah?"

Talulah - "Huh? Oh, yeah! I'm just nervous, I guess."

Ava - "Don't worry! I'm sure your unicorn is gonna be just around the corner! He or she is probably already waiting for you!"

Talulah - "I hope so. This is the best I've felt in...forever."

Ms. Primrose - "Talulah Fairchild, it is with great honor that I introduce you to Wonder Wood Forest, where the unicorns of this island live before they find their riders!"

Talulah - "Woah!"

Looking at the beautiful scenery in front of her, Talulah mentally checked, again, to make sure she wasn't dreaming. The forest was absolutely gorgeous, and the entire place gave off a sense of peace and harmony. The purple fate fair from the day before flew in front of Talulah, causing her to jump back in surprise. As Ms. Primrose explained how she'd find her unicorn, Talulah kept her back straight and her face as neutral as possible. Internally, she was panicking because she knew that her calm demeanor was fading.

Ms. Primrose - "The Wonder Wood Forest is the home to the unicorns of this island, and within those mystical trees, you'll find the unicorn you're meant to be with. If you and the unicorn are a match, the fate fairy will glow, signifying your special bond. When you've found your unicorn, return to us, and we'll get on with the naming ceremony."