𑁯𝙴𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗𑊁

"Go fish."

Mallory sighs heavily. "It's poker, Ethan."

I frown down at my books with fish on the covers. "No, I thought we changed." I remind, looking up at her.

"No, you changed because you don't know the rules of poker."

I huff. "We took a vote, and majority rules."

"There's only two of us."

I frown. "Fine." I grumble as I pick up one of the sparkly fish from my collection and set it down in the middle.

Mallory stares at it before she just rolls her eyes and reaches for the pile of pocket change and school supplies we set aside. I frown as she scoots it over towards her and sets her books down like she's done with the game.

I guess I lost.

"I don't like this game." I pout as I lay my books out too.

"You're not good at it." She acknowledges. "What else should we do?" She sighs as she pushes all of the books off to the side. We're going to have to go put all of those back if and when we leave.

I get up from the ground to wander over to my skateboard. She didn't get annoyed when I sat on it earlier, so I sit back down on it. She watches me dryly as I scoot myself all the way back on it. She doesn't say to stop though, so I grin at her while I do it. "We could play hide and seek." I offer, scooting right up beside her on it. I shift to sit properly on it instead of with most of myself on top of it.

"There are only two of us." She reminds again. I shrug. She shakes her head as she leans back on her palms behind her. "Being locked in a library is a lot more boring than it sounds."

I raise a brow. "It sounds really boring."

She frowns. "It doesn't sound that bad."

"It's pretty bad."

Mallory huffs her defeat. I smile when she looks away to frown about it for a moment. "I wish we at least had music." She mutters.

"What's your favorite?"

She looks back at me, not answering my sudden question for a few moments. "Song or band?"

I shrug. "Both."

She hums quietly as she sits up a little to curl her knees to her chest and wrap her arms around them. "My favorite song is Last Kiss. Favorite band is probably..." She trails off and looks up at the ceiling. I start smiling the longer I watch her think. Eventually, she quickly looks back at me with a brighter expression. "The Offspring." She declares happily.

"Why's Last Kiss your favorite?" I continue with the questions she seems fine answering. "What's it about?"

"Mm..." She hums as she looks away. "Well—It's kind of sad." She laughs quietly. "It's basically about these two teens who are out on a date in a truck. On their way to their date, they get into an accident. The girl ends up dying, but she's alive along enough to share one last kiss with the boy."

I stare. "That's..."

"Horrifying?" Mallory finishes my sentence with a smile. She laughs as she nods. "Yeah. I guess you'd just have to hear it. It's pretty straight forward with the storyline, but the way it's sung..." She trails off and shrugs. "I don't know. I like it."