Chapter 18: Bruce Dalton

"I need a drink," June announces to break our brief silence.

"Let's get you one then."

I walk behind her as we weave through the crowd of people. A few have caught my eye as a signal to come talk to June and me, but I've shook my head at them to let them know that June needs a drink and to get comfortable first.

But after her initial sip of her vodka cran, she is ready to talk to people. She's so fucking hilarious. She practically b-lines to Piper and Bullet, who are now standing together, and she thanks them for inviting her.

Fiona and Persephone are quick to come over too, asking her a million questions, but June isn't overwhelmed. I think beneath her "I'm going to go travel the world with my team of archaeologists and go dig in graves" personality, she loves talking with people.

Partly because she likes the attention (the most Bruce part of her), but she also doesn't want to talk about work all the time. On her expeditions - which is what I call them - that's all she talks about. And though she loves her job and what she does, she's very passionate about it, there are also other things that she enjoys.

Including what they are talking about right now, which sounds like book porn.

After the ladies are finished talking, or more accurately, Alpha asks them to step aside for a moment so that they can talk, I can tell that June gets a little more nervous.

I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that they are men, but they are men that I look up to and that protect Westmoor with everything they have. It's who they represent to her that makes her nervous, but she has nothing to worry about.

They are in the hands of their Old Ladies. As long as she's accepted by them, she's accepted by the men. I know that sounds fucking weird, and it kind of is. It sounds like a cult. But that's just the way things are.

I rub her hips subtly, trying to calm her. In true Alpha fashion though, he puts her instantly at ease which allows her to be more open and calm as the other guys come and meet her too. After meeting them all, she gets dragged to the dancefloor by Dakota and Poison, and I think it's time for me to leave her alone to mingle.

She's got it under control now that she's met everyone and is feeling good.

Tank comes up to me, and I can tell that it's not exactly for a casual friendly chat. He has something deep that he wants to discuss, it's not that hard to decipher. I nod my head toward a quieter corner of the backyard where we won't be too far, but it will also be clear that we're having a more personal, between-us talk.

I double check on June, but she's smiling and laughing with Hazel, so I don't feel bad.

"What's going on?" I question, Tank, not sure why he needs to speak with me.

"It's sort of been weighing on me why you never told me that you were still speaking to June after all this time. I keep thinking about it, and I just don't understand why this was something you felt like you needed to hide from me."

Well, shit, I didn't think he was going to be asking me this. At least not tonight. But I feel like I can finally answer this question. I'm not as afraid of what he'll say, not like I was before.

"You knew that I loved her from the moment that I met her."

"I mean, you didn't hide it. You just hid her. Were you worried about my opinion about her?"

"Sort of, but I also wanted to keep her away from what we were getting ourselves into. I almost drank myself to death, Tank. She found out about that like right away because I was in the hospital, but I didn't want to see that part of me."