Chapter 20

Carlos feared that the Khrillin were about to attack, but the large mass in the sky interrupted them from doing so. It let out a loud screeching noise that reminded Carlos of Riley scratching her nails against a blackboard she brought for show and tell; except this noise was that but ten times more amplified.

SKRILL, YOU WILL NOT BATTLE THE SKELRIS. THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG.

Skrill glared up at the sphere. "Yes, they have! They ruined our lives!"

YOU RUINED YOUR OWN LIFE, Star Tail snapped. THE ONLY CRIME THAT THEY HAVE DONE IS BEING UP IN THE SKY AND LEAVING YOU DOWN THERE.

Skrill growled but didn't say anything else. He lowered his staff and glared at Nova. "You're lucky that Star Tail saved you, but I will carry out my revenge again one day. You'll see."

THAT'S A DAY FOR ANOTHER TIME, Star Tail boomed. BUT IT'S TIME FOR MY REVENGE TO FINISH.

Two hundred years of this stupid war dragging on. So many innocent Catwings losing their homes because of what I caused. I can finally end all of this without hurting anyone else.

Jhaufyther's voice unexpectedly started talking right after Star Tail. JHAUFYTHER. WELL, WELL, WELL. I HAVE BEEN UNDER YOUR CONTROL FOR FAR TOO LONG. IT'S TIME THAT YOU PERISH AS WELL.

You're right. For the first time in such a while, Jhaufyther sounded reinvigorated. I'm not the only one about to bring you down. There's someone else who will do it with me.

Star Tail snorted. WHAT, A DAISY? THERE'S NOTHING STRONGER THAN THE POWER THAT I WITHHOLD.

"That's my cue," Carlos whispered to Riley. She hugged him, pressing her forehead against his. She closed her eyes. "Please, please be careful, Carlos. I promise that when you do survive, I will look for you. Yo te quiero mucho, sabes eso?"

"Yo tambien, Riley. I will see you again."

Riley drew back and looked at him. "I hope so. Now get out there and save the world; I got the rest covered."

Carlos teleported away, Riley's determined face looking down on the clearing the last thing he will probably see.

He stumbled to a stop in front of Jhaufyther, whose fur was shining brightly like the sun. "I feel strong," Jhaufyther said. "After so long, I finally feel like my purpose is fulfilled."

"'A friend of the Underneath and the Forgotten One, shot up wreathed in fire, taking down and defeating the Cosmos,'" Carlos quoted. "The prophecy is finally fulfilled."

Jhaufyther nodded. "What a way to end our lives, huh? I'm happy that I got to know you."

"Likewise," Carlos agreed.

He climbed on to Jhaufyther and stroked his fur. "Oh, yeah. Ending my life by defeating Star Tail."

"We should wait until everything becomes worse," Jhaufyther said. "We'll leave a bigger impact on them if Star Tail appeared."

"Where is he by the way?"

"We came to terms," he admitted. "He understands what I have to do. He's sad that this has to happen, but he's glad he got to know me."

The thought of Star Tail hurting his friends made a rage he hadn't had in so long boil inside of him. "It's time to take him once and for all," Carlos growled.

"You seem excited."

"I am. He will not hurt my friends. I will not let him."

Riley really wanted to gut Skrill. She wanted to drive a sword through his stomach and pull it out, watching with satisfaction as he screamed in pain.