Chapter XXVI

Travis sighs, nodding in agreement reluctantly, taking his hand away from Sal's and lightly hugging himself, trying to think of some way to comfort Sal after the words have left the smaller boy's mouth. Even when nothing comes to mind, he still hears Sal's hushed words in the quiet atmosphere. "Sorry, I know you're already really worried, I don't mean to make it worse for you. This is a rough subject to talk about."
Travis instantly rushes to answer him, his eyes going wide. "No, Sal, It is fine, I swear. I just don't know what to say to you, you don't deserve any of this. I shouldn't have shown you that part of the church, even if it was as a warning.." he stops so he doesn't ramble on, his eyes not pulling away from the boy in front of him.
"Travis, it is fine. Just– we will see where time takes us. Todd will eventually check up on me, and it will be fine, at least for now. Alright?" Sal responds, oddly put together for the situation at hand.
"Okay.. you should rest. See if it helps with your vision. or your condition. I'll text Todd for you." the blonde answers, already reaching for his phone and moving to the very edge of the bed so the bluenette can lay down.
         Sal listens, resting his head on the pillow and watching Travis as he types. Travis eventually stands up, giving a smile to Sal and putting his phone away. "I'm going to go on a walk, clear my head a little. If you need anything before I am back just text me." (we know damn well travtravsiwa aint just walking) he hums, watching Sal nod. Sal closes his eyes, while drifting off hearing the bedroom door close, finally falling asleep.

           Travis walks along the pavement, seeing the church out of the corner of his eyes, watching it in his peripheral vision as he slows his strides. He sees a figure exit the ministry, only then completely stopping and looking over. Kenneth Phelps stops in front of the church, waiting for Travis expectantly. Travis slowly trudges over, reluctant from their last meet-up. They come face to face, and he looks up at his father, his mouth going dry. He crosses his arms, refusing to show his apprehension. "Hello father." he starts the conversation, bland and obviously annoyed.
         Kenneth doesn't even spare him a glance, his neat blonde hair (Travis does NOT take after his father goddamn) and church clothing not messed up against the light autumn wind. "Hello Travis. It is going well right now, for your information. I would assume you are showing up to the meeting tonight as you have promised?" Kenneth formally informs, as if Travis isn't even his son, and more so a guest.
Travis takes a deep breath and tells himself it is for the best, speaking through his teeth. "Yes father. I will be there as I have sworn."
A long silence follows, until Kenneth answers, a hint of a smile showing on his face making it clear that he is amused to see the power he has over his son. "Good, I will see you then. One more thing, however. You can't stop this, no matter how much you think you can, there is nothing you can do. You are free to go now, nice chat." he states, a fake tone of genuineness in his words.
Travis nods, holding his breath and looking down as he hears his dismissal, leaving without another word. The trip back is suffocating, only feeling a sense of calm once he is away from the church, though worry quickly follows after thinking through his dads words. You can't stop this, no matter how much you think you can. He shakes away the thoughts agreeing with the words, refusing to let it be true. He sees the apartments come in view, focusing on that instead and on getting back. "Thank fucking god..." He whispers to himself, entering the complex.

         Sal wakes up to Travis in front of him, jolting in surprise and sitting up quickly, his hair messy and his body warm from the blankets. "Jesus christ–!" he murmurs way too fast, his words blurring together from being awake so suddenly.
          He glances around the room, overaware of the itchy sensation along his wrists and forearms. "Sorry, Todd just answered my message, he said he can meet up with us today if that is okay with you?" Travis says meekly, a small laugh in his voice, though refusing to bring up his meeting with his father.
           Sal hums in agreement, looking at the foot of his bed and seeming to stare off. "Uh.. Is your vision better at least?" Travis says, remembering suddenly and following Sal's eyes, not seeing anything there.
           "Huh? Oh, yeah, it's all good now. Guess I just needed sleep." Sal answers, scratching at his wrists and arms lightly, the urge not going away however.
            Travis nods, watching Sal meet his stare, holding it as he chooses his words carefully. "Are you okay? You look very on edge right now."
           Sal shrugs, the eye contact freaking him out a little and breaking it quickly. "Yeah, I am fine, don't worry about it. Prolly just thirsty. I'll get myself some water." he lies, though not even getting all the way up before Travis is already walking half out of the bedroom door.
"I'll get it for you, you stay there for now." Travis states, keeping the door open as he leaves.
           Sal nods even when Travis cannot see anymore, the scratching along his wrist slightly rougher, looking around the room. Once Travis comes back  he passes the water to Sal, and Sal takes a couple of small sips before putting it on his nightstand, continuing what he was doing. Travis looks down to Sal's arms, immediately grabbing Sal's hands to stop his itching, his eyes wide. "What are you doing-" Sal starts before looking down at his arms, seeing the black streaks along his veins in his hands and going up his wrist, starting up his forearm and climbing up.

Word count: 1029 words