Chapter XXXII

The alarm blares throughout the once silent and dark room clearly, and Travis wakes up instantly to turn it off. Sal lays still, asleep peacefully and his arms hooked around the awoken boy, his breaths steady and slow. Travis reaches behind him to grab his phone, turning off the alarm and letting Sal have 5 more minutes to stay against him, admittedly not thrilled to go to this meeting. He texts his father, his chin resting into the top of Sal's head as they have a short conversation with eachother on when he is coming.

        After a couple of minutes, he finally forces himself to pull away from the bluenette still sleeping on him, stalling to get up so he doesn't wake him up too much and so he doesn't get there too soon. He sneaks to his bag, getting changed and seeing the moonlight through the curtains, Sal in the corner of his eye holding onto a pillow instead. He pulls on his shoes before opening a secret compartment in his backpack, taking out a dark cloak and ignoring the rushing anxiety flaring into his chest. He walks out of the room, also grabbing the keys perched on the key holder. Gizmo meows from the edge of the couch, his green eyes peering at Travis. Travis doesn't pay any mind to him, walking to the door and leaving the apartment. He looks to the security camera at the end of the hallway, its red light blinking on and off to indicate recording. He slowly waves, before walking to the elevator and focusing on getting out of the complex. He presses the button for the lobby, and the elevator music faintly plays in the background. He sighs, holding the cloak tightly in his clenched fist and getting out of the elevator as soon as the doors open. "Hello Mr. Phelps!" He hears a cheerful chirp, looking towards the direction of the voice almost instantly, alarmed.
          He sees Mr. Addison waiting for an answer in room 101, through his little mail slot. Travis relaxes, walking to Mr. Addison's door, his cloak still in his hands. "It's Travis. Mr. Phelps is my father, Mr. Addison. You should know that out of all people, I've seen you attend our church not too long ago." He says as politely as possible, yet a small bit of attitude creeps in regardless.
            Mr. Addison hums in response, as if he had completely forgotten. "Ah, yes of course. I saw you on the cameras a bit ago. You're headed out to see him now, are you not?"
           Travis slowly nods, almost having forgotten Mr. Addison's relations with his father, and he fiddles with the fabric of the mantle. Mr. Addison dismisses him, and Travis leaves as soon as he could, rushing out of the complex. Once he is walking against the pavement, he puts on the hooded cloak, putting it over his head and making sure he isn't seen. He pays attention to his surroundings, the environment a bit cooler out as it is getting darker, and he walks at a brisk pace to get there quickly; to get it over with. Not long after, he spots the church come into view, and he sighs when he sees Kenneth waiting for him, expecting his presence. "For fucks sake.." He groans to himself, half running to his father, stopping in front of him.
           Kenneth gives his son a silent greeting, and Travis doesn't say anything as he puts a harsh hand on his shoulder, the only acknowledgement being a grimace. Kenneth half shoves him to the back of the church, the floorboards already off and put to the side, and he leads him into the lit area. "Father, I—" Travis starts before Kenneth glares, pushing him to where all the others are gathered, all in their matching black cloaks.
          "Travis, you will be co-leading this meeting with me today." Kenneth shouts, for all to hear.
          Travis feels his heart skip a beat, and his panicked eyes glances around the rest of the cult, which seems to agree. "F-For what, sir?" he stutters, correcting his mannerisms from last time he had spoken, changing from father to sir.
          Kenneth puts on his own cloak, walking by the bloodied pit and the chains. He stares at the rest of them, a grin of pride hidden as he grabs his dog mask. "You are closest to the prophecy child, boy. You'll be the one to bring him down. You've seen his condition that we've only been able to achieve because of you." he says loudly, and Travis feels all eyes go to him.
         Travis quivers as he takes in what he is to do, and he slowly walks next to the last person of his own bloodline. He stops beside him, and Kenneth turns to him, holding both sides of the mask. Travis stares at it, shuddering just at the sight of it, and he is snapped out of it when his hood is being taken off. He glances at the crowd of people, one person's brown hair peeking out from the cloak they wore, oddly familiar to him yet not knowing who the person could be; just knowing that he hadn't seen that person in the cult before this time only by their figure. The dog mask is lowered onto his head, and his heart races in dread and nervousness. "And when the time comes..." Kenneth starts, moving away from Travis and silently instructing him to stay by the pedestal, continuing his words while he is behind him.        
      "You will bring him to us. And you will carry out our legacy."
Travis stares ahead until Kenneth walks back next to him, and he comes face to face with a green sword, its edges especially sharpened and a slight glow to it. Travis slowly meets his fathers twisted gaze, a wicked grin and amused eyes. "You will be the one to kill him," he announces.
       Travis seems to pause, the thought of it running through his head, and he slowly nods to the cult leader, and his father. "Yes, sir."

Word count: 1024 words