Chapter XXXIII

Sal blinks awake at the feeling of the bed shifting, rubbing his eyes and letting go of the pillow he was holding. He just catches the sight of Travis climbing into bed once he is laying down next to him, facing him and making eye contact. Sal tiredly leans back into him, and Travis quickly checks the time, which reads 4:19 AM. He looks back to Sal, this time pulling him closer and hugging onto him, absolutely exhausted after the night he has had. Sal doesn't protest, moving closer to him and entangling their legs, his head in his chest and his eyes closing. Travis waits for Sal to go back to sleep, for his breathing to steady out and to bury his face into his shirt. His own heart races but not wanting to let go after that meeting, for which he now has to carry out a plan. "L'humanité se détruira elle-même, corps et âme, avant d'avoir appris une simple leçon." (Translation: Humanity will destroy itself, body and soul, before it learns a single lesson.) He whispers to himself, to the passed out boy on him, a stray tear rolling down his cheek.
The silence seems to eat at his mind, no answer coming from anything or anyone. Not Gizmo, not Sal, not even the darkness of his own brain. He moves a strand of blue hair away from Sal's face, looking at him and taking a deep breath,  resting his forehead against his. He closes his eyes, letting himself go to sleep, even if thoughts haunt his dreams.

After hours pass, Sal shifts and stirs, waking Travis out of his sleep. He glances down at Sal at the same time Sal looks up at him, and they make eye contact, Travis realizing their position and instantly letting go and backing up, knowing he can't get too close, or too attached. Sal checks the time, it now the afternoon, yawning and sitting up. "Er.. Morning." Travis mutters, and Sal soundlessly greets him in response, rubbing at his eyes.
"Sleep well?'' Sal asks while stretching his arms and back, and Travis nods to him, just starting to sit up as well against the bed frame.
Sal hums, grabbing his phone from the nightstand, seeming to have forgotten Travis having to leave the day before, not turning on his phone and instead moving his body to face Travis. "I'm sure someone was messaging us a bit ago." he mumbles, his voice still heavy with sleep.
Travis grabs his phone, though no notifications are up on it from his do not disturb being on. "Not mine." he says, looking to Sal and gesturing to his phone.
Sal takes his own phone, checking and seeing a bunch of messages, most from which he doesn't know. He scrolls through them, the words of all the unknown numbers incomprehensible to him, and when he gets to the bottom there are a couple messages from Ashley and Todd. "Jesus christ." he mutters, and Travis moves so he is off the bed.
"What is it?" the blonde asks, stretching and starting to change out of his clothes.
Sal doesn't look up, continuing to scroll through the messages in disbelief, though right after opening his messages with Todd first. "There's a bunch of messages, though they're all written in... something. I don't know. I don't recognize any of the numbers, but I was right about Todd messaging me–" He starts before he looks up, Travis now quickly in front of him in a panic, looking over to see Sal's phone.
Sal flinches away from him, surprised, and he moves so Travis can at least see the phone, closing out of the conversation to show the multiple unknown messages. "It is fine, really. It's just odd." he assures, though Travis doesnt calm whatsoever, seeming to 'read' through them.
Sal doesn't speak to him for a minute, assuming Travis is trying to comprehend it, not actually believing that there is a possibility of him knowing how to read it. "Fucking hell.." Travis mutters, breaking the silence and moving a bit away.
Sal goes back to the messages with Todd, actually reading them through this time and standing up from the bed to start going to the closet. "Todd just wanted me to come over later to see if it's gotten worse. Though he doesn't want you coming with me, huh." he says as he changes into a band t-shirt with a light red jacket on top, and black ripped jeans.
Travis agrees, understanding that Todd is still.... Suspecting of him (you can't blame him tbf) and he stands as well, though a nervousness in his step. He walks behind Sal, noticing how he is paused facing the closet to think, and he puts a hand on his shoulder with a tilt of his head. Sal jolts, a quick flash of white blinding his vision, and he freezes as a small shock vibrates through his body with a lingering ache. Travis takes his hand away slowly, walking to face him. "Uh.. you okay?" he asks, putting a small amount of distance between them as he does so.
Sal takes a second to snap out of it, blinking a couple times to get it out of his system before nodding and grabbing his prosthetic, too tired to deal with whatever that was as he puts his hair up. He nods as he buckles the straps of his prosthetic on, texting Todd.

12:57 PM - Sal: Any specific time you wanna meet?

He doesn't check Todd's answer before he shoves his phone in his pocket, looking at Travis. He doesn't put on his shoes, knowing they still have a considerable amount of time, and Travis speaks up. His face is twisted into a nervous expression, almost in a way secretive but also another unexplainable emotion. "That's cause he doesn't trust me." the blonde mutters, and he moves against the door of the closet, leaning on it.
Sal shrugs, looking away and knowing that what he is saying isn't wrong. "I know. It just takes time, they don't know you to be like how you are now. They don't know the full picture, I trust you."

Word count- 1040 words