Chapter Nine

The party wasn't actually in the Dockman Hall dorms. Which, in retrospect, made sense since the Existence of residence assistants would probably stop one from happening. Instead, the party would be held at an off-campus housing complex. the senior members of the baseball team lease an old Victorian house on a flat stretch of land that connects Northview's campus to the downtown area.

Ella had only been down this street once, and it was to head into town to buy a winter coat, as it was getting a bit chilly and she had no heavy clothing to weather the biting, cold air. She remembers glancing at few of the houses that lined the street, stopping to stare at all the university flags and decals in the windows, all the folding chairs on the front porches, and all the beer cans and wine bottles that littered the front yards and side streets.

But she'd never been down this street at night and definetly had never been down this street with the intent of going to a party. A Northview Baseball team party.

"Drink this if you're nervous," Katie said, handing her a water bottle filled with lemonade and what Ella assumed to be some other alcoholic substance.

Ella shook her head.

"Seriously, lighten up Tucker. You're not going to want to be sober at one of these parties trust me."

She wrinkled her nose. "Why?"

"Because everyone is going to be straight-up plastered and being sober around plastered people is not fun." She pushed the drink into Ella's hands. "Plus, we walked here and if I have to i'll call us an uber, we're not getting behind any wheel tonight."

Ella opened her mouth to protest but promptly shut it when no retort came out. She wasn't one to give into peer pressure but the thought of being sober around a bunch of sweaty drunk college stduents made her nauseous.

She took a tentative sip, and prompt coughed. "Ew, what is this?"

Katie patted her on the back. "I have no idea, I just mixed what I had leftover under my bed."

Ella took a few more sips before shoving the crinckly, plastic bottle back toward Katie. "I don't think I can drink anymore of that, I might start hurling before we even get there."

Katie laughed and took the bottle from Ella's outstretched hand. "It's really not that bad."

A groups of what Ella assumed to be Northview students walked past them, giggling and fumbling with their phones to take pictures or record themselves for social media. Judging by their attire they were probably on the way to the same party s them.

"So, how do you know Holmes."

"What?" Ella said, brain slightly fuzzy. No way the drink kicked in that fast.

"Holmes" Katie repeated, "Connor Holmes."

"Oh," Ella said, fidgeting with the phone in her hand. 'He helped me get into the dorms my first day here."

"Like he got you a dorm?"

"What—no," Ella rolled her eyes. "He unlocked the door for me."

"That's it?"

Ella shrugged. "Pretty much."

Katie narrowed her eyes. "So he unlocked the door for you, and all of sudden he's personally inviting you to the baseball teams party and texting you to makesure you show up."

"There might have been a few things that happened in between."

Katie stayed silent for a few beats. "Did you sleep with him?"

"Oh my god–no, I did not sleep with him."

Katie raised her hands in defense. "I was just wondering. I mean, no offense, because you are like really pretty, but I know Holmes pretty well and he's not the type to start fawning over a girl he just meant."