Chapter Ten

Ella found herself being led by Connor through the lively party, the pulsating beat of the music and the chatter of guests fading as they ventured into the kitchen. The air was slightly cooler here, a welcome relief from the intensity of the crowded living room.

She couldn't help but notice the warmth of Connor's hand around hers. She wasn't sure if the touch was intentional or merely a friendly gesture, but her heart raced nonetheless.

This was weird. Just a few weeks ago, they were complete strangers but it almost seemed like Connor wanted to be more than friends. Maybe? Kinda? She wasn't really sure. He always sought her out, and even invited her to this party, despite barely knowing her.

"I mean, no offense, because you are like really pretty, but I know Holmes pretty well and he's not the type to start fawning over a girl he just meant."

"I don't think he's fawning over me." Ella said, almost defensively. "I think he wants to be friends."

Katie let out a snort. "Friends? I don't think so."

Ella frowned, replaying Katie's words through her head. If Connor wasn't the type to fall for a girl at first sight, why would he be interested in hereafter only a few weeks? It just didn't make sense.

"The unopened drinks are over there," Connor said, snapping her out of her thoughts. He gestured towards a table filled with various bottles and mixers.

"Thanks," Ella replied, feeling a little flustered by the unexpected closeness. She grabbed a couple of cups and began to pour some drinks, trying to keep her hands steady.

"Wait," Connor said, his voice lowering slightly as he stepped closer to Ella. "Let me help with that."

Ella handed him one of the cups, and they stood in the dimly lit kitchen, shoulder to shoulder, as Connor expertly poured the drinks. His proximity, the scent of his cologne, and the faint, ambient lighting created an undeniable allure. Ella's heart raced even faster, and she struggled to maintain her composure.

Connor's fingers brushed lightly against hers as he passed her a cup, sending a subtle shiver down her spine. Their eyes met, and for a moment, the world seemed to slow down.

"Tucker, I–"

"Holmes, there you are," the kitchen door suddenly burst open. A man with a wave of messy dark brown hair and a bright, infectious grin entered the room, breaking the enchanting atmosphere that had enveloped Ella and Connor. It was Marcurio. "We're running out of drinks, my man. Any chance you could run to the store and—" He stopped.

"Am I..." a mischievous grin overtook his face. "Am I interrupting something here?" Marcurio added, glancing between the two.

Ella felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment as she quickly stepped away from the intimate space she had shared with Connor. She shook her head, trying to regain her composure. "No, not at all. Connor was just helping me pour some drinks."

"Right," he said, in a disbelieving tone. "Pouring drinks."

They stood in awkward silence for a few moments as Marcurio continued staring at the two of them with a wide smile. Connor cleared his throat. "Is there something you need, Mar?"

"Oh right," the dark-haired man said snapping out of his mischievous reverie. "We're running low on beer. Thought maybe you could make a quick run to the store, Holmes."

Connor's expression shifted from a sense of disappointment to one of reluctant agreement. His eyes met Ella's for a moment, and she could see a hint of reluctance in his gaze. "Sure," Connor replied, his voice tinged with disappointment. "I'll go grab the beer."