Chapter Nineteen

There really was no need for hesitation.

Ella like Connor and Connor liked Ella.

So they should date, right?

Yet, Ella hesitated.

The giddiness from being asked out by the man she liked slowly ebbing away.

She never really planned on staying in Nebraska. She was only here for research and once that was done she'd be on the first plane back to Miami.

At least, that's what she initially planned to do.

If Ella started dating Connor, her plans would basically be ruined.  She'd never want to leave. 

She'd want to stay here with Connor, watch as his baseball career grows, settle down and have a family, and than next thing she knows she'll be living on a ranch with five children and a hundred bison.

Well, maybe that was a little dramatic.

"Ella," Connor said, peering at her curiously. "Everything okay?"

Caught in her thoughts, Ella blinked, realizing she had been silent for too long. "Sorry, I was just... thinking."

"About what?" Connor's expression softened with concern.

Ella hesitated for a moment, debating whether to share her internal conflict. Finally, she sighed. "About us. I like you, Connor, I really do. But I never planned on staying in Nebraska for long. Once my research is over, I'll likely head back to Miami."

Connor's brows furrowed in thought. "So, what are you saying?"

"I...I don't know. If we start dating, it might complicate things. I don't want to hold you back or make promises I can't keep."

Connor stayed silent, his grip on her hand never loosened. He stroked his thumb over the back of her wrist, seemingly lost in thought. "You're worried about the future."

"Yeah," Ella admitted. "I don't want to hurt you, and I don't want to be hurt when I eventually leave."

He smiled and than let out a small chuckle. Than a hearty laugh.

Ella frowned. This was a serious moment, why was he laughing?

"Sorry, sorry." Connor said, rubbing her hand reassuringly. "I'm not laughing at you, I promise. It's just—I think it's cute you're already thinking about the future."

Ella's frown deepened. "Well, of course I'm going to think of the future! I don't want to date than break up."

Connor stared at her for a moment, his eyes soft and full of playful mirth. "When do you plan on finishing your research, Ella?"

She furrowed her brows. "I don't know. In two years maybe?"

She watched as Connor visibly tried to hold back a humorous smile.

Connor reached out, gently cupping her face. "Ella, I appreciate your honesty. But why don't we just enjoy what we have now? The future will figure itself out. Maybe you'll decide to stay, or maybe we'll find a way to make it work."

His words resonated with Ella, bringing a sense of relief. Something, she desperately needed. Ella was so used to having her life planned out, everything had to be perfect but now the weight of uncertainty lifted, replaced by a newfound lightness. Maybe, just maybe, she didn't need to have every detail of her future planned out.

"Okay," she said, a small smile playing on her lips. "Let's just enjoy the present."

The words felt weird rolling off her tongue. She was opening the door to something new—something she didn't know if she was ready for.