Chapter Sixteen

In retrospect, maybe Ella should have thought her actions through a little bit more.

The kiss was a simple press of lips, an impulsive exchange charged by Connor's irresistible smile. Connor didn't kiss back, because of course, he wouldn't. Why would he want to kiss her? Doubts crept into her mind—what if she had misread the situation, and he didn't actually feel the same way?

Her thoughts raced, and as she met Connor's gaze, she found herself searching for any sign of discomfort or hesitation. The charged atmosphere that had surrounded them moments ago now seemed tinged with a touch of awkwardness. Ella couldn't shake the worry that maybe she had crossed a line.

She pulled back, a hint of apology forming on her lips. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean—"

In a flash, there was a hand at the back of Ella's neck and she was pulled forward to meet Connor's waiting lips. She made a soft, startled noise, but was quickly lost in the sensation of having their mouths fused hungrily together. Connor angled his body so that their chests were pressed firmly against each other, and her hand went to cup his face. The kiss was sudden and hasty, with neither of them willing to slow down or pull back. Ella felt her whole world shift and expand, and her breathing quickened. She realized, with the force of a punch to the gut, just how badly she had needed this. But she had to be sure that Connor needed this too - that she wasn't in the middle of making some terrible mistake.

"Wait," Ella said, attempting to pull away, Connor followed after her. His eyes held a warmth that contradicted the fleeting awkwardness. "No need to apologize," he murmured, his thumb gently caressing her cheek. "I just didn't want you to think I didn't want to kiss you back."

Ella's breath caught, her gaze searching his for sincerity. "But I thought maybe you—"

Connor interrupted her with another gentle press of his lips, effectively silencing her worries. This time, there was no hesitation. As they pulled away, Ella found herself breathless, a mixture of surprise and delight lingering on her features.

Connor's eyes sparkled with a newfound intensity. "I've wanted to do that for a while," he admitted, his tone genuine.

Ella's heart fluttered, a smile breaking across her face. "Me too." And surprisingly she was being truthful.

"Umm," Ella whipped around to see Lysander standing a few feet away, looking a bit awkward. His eyes flickered between Ella and Connor, and there was something in his expression that hinted at a mix of surprise and discomfort.

"Oh, hey Lysander," Ella greeted, nervously. She took a step back. "I was just, uh, congratulating Connor." She patted Connor lightly on the back. "Great job, bud."

Connor stared down at her incredulously. She glanced away.

"We can see that," Alex said, pushing past Lysander to enter the dugout. He took off his cap, revealing his disheveled mop of curls. He moved toward Connor and clapped him on the shoulder. "Nice game, man. And congrats on... whatever this is." He gestured vaguely between Connor and Ella.

"We're not, I mean I don't think we–" she stammered.

Lysander and Connor stared at her expectantly.

Katie breezed into the dugout, her eyes locking onto Ella. "Ella, there you are! You have that crazy final to study for, remember?"

"My savior." Ella thought internally. Usually, Katie had the worst timing, but this, this was impeccable timing. Katie might actually be God herself.

Ella's eyes widened, and she quickly seized the lifeline Katie had thrown her. "Right, the final. Gotta ace that, you know? If not, I'll be kicked out of the program." She shot a grateful glance at Katie.