Chapter fourteen

The crisp air outside wafted across her face as Ella and Connor stepped into the fading sunlight. It was a lot colder now that the sun had settled behind the looming oak trees that littered across campus. Ella glanced at Connor, who appeared to be lost in thought. His eyes were slightly narrowed as he continued staring straight ahead. The bustling sounds of the school gradually faded into the background, leaving a quiet space for the unspoken tension to weave its way between them.

As they walked side by side, Ella couldn't shake the feeling that this conversation was about to be more than just a baseball game. The weight of Connor's gaze from before lingered in her mind and his earlier request to accompany her seemed to carry a depth she couldn't quite grasp.

Connor cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "I've been meaning to talk to you, Tucker."

Ella felt a slight pang of nervousness. It sat heavy in her stomach as she tightened her hand across the strap of her bag.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," Connor confirmed. "But it seems like you've been busy." He paused, kicking a stray bottle cap that littered the ground. "Or at least I thought you were busy."

Ella winced. She knew it was wrong to avoid Connor for no reason, other than her being immensely uncomfortable with a slight interaction she saw, but she couldn't help it. Being around Connor made her so...

So...

So what?

"Tucker!" Connor said, stepping in front of her vision. "Are you listening?"

"Oh, um, yeah I am." She shook her head slightly, attempting to clear away her quizzical thoughts.

Connor eyed her, disapprovingly. "Okay, so what did I say?"

Ella blinked, racking her brain for an answer. She sighed. It was quite obvious she had no idea what he had been saying, too busy lost in her thoughts.

Connor mimicked her sigh. "Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that maybe you don't want me around anymore?" He removed his baseball cap and ruffled his light brown, tousled hair. "I know I came off a bit strong in the beginning but I never meant to annoy you to the point of ignoring me. I thought you were warming up to me after the party but then after I walked you to the library you completely started ignoring me," He groaned and scrubbed a hand across his face. "Is it because I asked about that book and your work? If that bothers you I'll never ask about it again. Promise. Just, please don't ignore me."

Ella's mouth slackened in awe. It probably wasn't lady-like to stare with her mouth open in complete surprise this long, but in her defense it probably wasn't very masculine of Connor to be staring at her with wide, watery puppy eyes.

"Holmes," she started, finally finding her voice, "it's not about that. It's just..." She hesitated, searching for the right words. "Things have been complicated, and I didn't mean to ignore you. I appreciate your company, really. It's just—"

"Just what?" He said, fully gazing into her eyes now. It was...weirdly intimate. It made her want to squirm. She probably was.

"It's..."

Connor stared at her patiently.

"It's nothing." She said looking away.

"What?" Connor exclaimed exasperated. "It's nothing!?" A few students passing by glanced at them and Ella mentally sighed.

"It's not something I can talk about, I don't know why I was ignoring you. Honestly, I don't even think I was." She asserted. "I won't ignore you again, I promise."