Chapter Fifteen

The week passed in a blur, as it usually did. This time though, there were alot more late-night study sessions and intermediate coffee breaks throughout the day than usual. Finals were looming, casting a shadow over the entire campus. Ella found herself buried in textbooks and notes, her mind a whirlwind of information and deadlines. She barely had time to focus on her research. Her newfound obsession, sat idle on her desk, barely even touched due to the demands of her vigorous courseload and late-night library shifts.

Sometimes she'd see Connor pass through the library late in the night, probably just finishing up his studying as well. He'd send her a small wave and an attempt at a bright smile. However, if the eyebags under his eyes were any indication, they were both running on caffeine and sheer determination.

And sometimes she'd see Lysander pass through as well, albeit a bit earlier in the evening. He was usually accompanied by a stack of books and a thoughtful expression, engrossed in his own academic pursuits. Their eyes would meet, a silent acknowledgment of shared struggles, before Lysander continued on his way.

It was Thursday now, and Ella had about just enough studying for her Communications Media final when Katie yanked open the door.

"Tucker," she greeted, her blonde hair unusually frizzy. Must be due to the cold. "I feel like for the previous two weeks I hadn't seen you for ages, but now I feel like I'm seeing you way too much."

Ella gestured to her open laptop and pile of notebooks scrawled in messy print. "I've been studying."

"Yeah, but don't you usually study with Alex's unusually hot brother?" She said, pulling her green university sweater over her head. She was wearing a beige long-sleeve shirt underneath.

"What?"

Katie tossed the sweater on her bed, making her way over to the dresser. "You heard me, you're always with Hernadez's brother. Hes hot." She paused, rifling through her clothing. "Have you slept with him yet?"

"Oh my god, no. He's just a friend."

She shrugged. "I don't know if he knows that."

"He definitely does." Her face ignited with heat. Someone must have turned the furnace up in the building.

"I don't know if Holmes knows that."

Ella spun around, her eyes widening in alarm. "Why does that matter?"

Katie glanced back at her. "You're kidding, right?"

Ella swiveled her chair around to fully face her roommate. "No, I'm not kidding. I'm confused."

Katie sighed. She grabbed a hoodie from the top drawer and slipped it on. "He likes you, Tucker."

She opened her mouth to retort.

"He like likes you. He wouldn't be acting like a golden retriever and following you around with big ol' puppy dog eyes if he didn't like you."

Ella stayed silent, blinking up at her roommate in disbelief.

"Look," Katie said, pulling a protein bar out of the pantry. "I've seen him interact with other girls. Hell, I've seen him date other girls and he has never acted the way he does around you with them." She unwrapped the bar, a few stray crumbs falling to the ground as she did so. "So if you were worried about him, oh I don't know, flirting with other girls." She sent Ella a pointed look. "He's not, I can assure you."

Ella processed Katie's words, her mind racing to make sense of the revelation. The room seemed to close in, and she found herself grappling with the unexpected truth that lingered in the air.

Home Runs and Heart BeatsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara