27) Gay? Pt. 2 (Fluff) Newt

(Y/N's POV)

     "Are you sure Newt's gay?" I asked Johnny.

      He was walking me to lunch, and he gazed off in Newt's direction. Ever the hard worker, he was diligently weeding the garden now. I took a few seconds to stare, admiring the way his muscles flexed as he grabbed and pulled while biting his lip in concentration.

"Yeah, I'm positive," he said in a weird tone, almost like a scoff. "Between me and you, I think him and Thomas have a little something going on, you get me?"

I snickered. Newt and Thomas? What the hell? Thomas was too busy with his tunnel-vision for the maze, maze-vision, to worry about anything else. Sure, they talked, but I'd never gotten any indications of a romance there. Johnny must have been utterly unhinged.

"Newt and Thomas? No way."

"Yes, way," he insisted, stopping in his tracks before we reached a table. "The other night, I walked behind the homestead and found them almost kissing. They both saw me and stopped."

I didn't believe this one bit, but why would Johnny be making this up? I was a strong advocate for believing people unless they had a valid reason to lie for whatever benefit, and since there was so justification in sight, I chose to trust him.

"Wow. They just never struck me as the type."

He nodded, seemingly understanding.

"Neither did I until I saw it."

I looked off to the side, away from the gardens, and thought about it.

"Alright."

When we reached the table, he sat down next to me and put an arm around me. He rubbed my left arm as he was on my right.

"I'll always be here for you though."

I looked at him awkwardly and nodded, hoping to avoid this topic.

...

I sat with Newt in a hammock next to his, nobody else there. I wondered if I should ask him about Thomas, even give him advice, but I also didn't want him to know that Johnny told me. But it didn't matter if the end justified the means, right? Not right, but this was innocent enough.

"Hey, Newt?"

"Yeah, love?"

I paused for a second, wondering how to ask this. I exhaled and looked at him. He was already staring at me intently with his beautiful brown eyes.

"Are you sure you don't like anybody here?"

I saw him get visibly redder as his smile dropped and he avoided my gaze. He stared about 6 feet ahead of him, and I shifted to him more.

"It's okay, Newt, and I know it's an uncomfortable topic, but I wont judge you for anything."

He swallowed thickly and met my eyes again.

"Y/N, I'm sorry, it's just that-"

"No, you don't have to explain yourself to me."

I sighed and tilted my head to him, grinning lightly.

"I just think you should go for it."

He looked at me hopefully, smiling. It melted my heart and broke it at the same time, but I decided to focus on the former. He was going to be happy with someone else, and I would be happy for him.

"Really?!" He asked excitedly.

"Of course!" I smiled back. "I'm sure you both will be happy."

His smile dropped and now he just looked confused. His eyebrows furrowed as he looked at my face, making my smile fade as well.

"What do you mean 'you both'?" He asked.

I smiled as if to say "obviously the guy you kissed" and tilted my head as if he should know who I'm talking about. He clearly didn't, so I had to clarify.

"Thomas...?"

"Thomas?" He exclaimed.

"Yes, Thomas," I repeated. "You know... they guy you were going to kiss?"

He started stuttering.

"What?!"

"Yeah... Johnny told me that-"

"Oh, bloody hell, of course it was that shank."

I stayed quiet, wondering what he meant. He rolled his eyes.

"I do not like Thomas, and I didn't almost kiss him," he explained. "The shank lied to you."

"Why would he do that?"

"Because he's bloody in love with you!" He yelled. "And I-"

I continued my silence and just stared down at my lap.

"I guess he sees me as a bloody threat..."

I raised my head and looked at him curiously.

"What do you mean by that?"

Newt looked uncomfortable, and I almost wanted to take back what I said, but then again I did want to know.

"I guess he knows... I kinda..."

He exhaled frustratedly and looked me in my eyes quickly.

"Like you too..."

My eyes widened, and I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. He looked at my reactions and panicked.

"N-No, I'm sorry, nothing about our friendship has to change, I just... oh, bloody hell, love- I-I mean Y/N, I'm sorry, I think of you as my friend first, but I just couldn't help it, and-"

I knew I couldn't find the words, but my body chose the right actions. I cut him off by grabbing his cheek, which shut him up really quick as he looked at me intensely, and I pulled him in for a kiss. He stiffened but kissed me back quickly and putting his hand through my hair and holding my head. I kissed him for a few seconds more before pulling away. I let out what little breath I was holding, and then he pulled me in again for another kiss.

11/5/2023