Numbers

I managed to calm down by the next day, and while I was still not happy about Caroline's attitude towards me, I knew her well enough to be able to deal with the exasperating side of her personality

I managed to calm down by the next day, and while I was still not happy about Caroline's attitude towards me, I knew her well enough to be able to deal with the exasperating side of her personality. I still expected an apology though, and I would let her know that as well.

As soon as I parked my car, I went to my locker to retrieve my books for my two first periods.

„Hey, Lori! How are you?" I heard Elena's voice and turned around to face her and Bonnie.

„Good, and you guys?"

They were about to answer when Caroline skipped over, cheerful as always.

„Good morning, ladies! Oh my god, Elena, Bonnie, we have to do another dinner party again soon. Last night was just so fun, wasn't it?" She exclaimed clapping her hands in excitement before turning to me. „It's such a shame that you couldn't make it, Lori!"

I furrowed my brows and looked confused between my friends. A knot started to form in my stomach.

„What are you talking about?" I asked.

„You didn't know?" Caroline asked surprised, while Bonnie and Elena looked uncomfortable. „We had a dinner party yesterday, with Elena, Bonnie and Stefan. I brought Damon too."

She added that last part with a dreamy expression. I felt a pang in my chest as I looked at my best friends. They didn't even think to invite me?

„No, I didn't know," I said, looking at Bonnie and Elena, as they squirmed under my hard gaze. I slammed my locker shut and walked in the direction of my first class. I could hear Bonnie calling me, asking me to wait, but I ignored her.

I didn't talk with any of the girls the whole day afterwards. I was too angry and hurt. I knew how air-headed Caroline could be, especially when she was all over a guy, but I expected more from Bonnie and Elena. I called them my best friends after all. I sat far away from them during class and skipped lunch to avoid them further. I had turned my phone off, to not have it buzz with the many messages they would send me. I needed distance.

As soon as the last bell rang I practically ran outside and drove home.

In the pit of my stomach the knot was growing bigger and bigger as I knew that one of my anxiety attacks was nearing again and I pressed down on the gas pedal to get home as quickly as possible. I didn't want to be driving when it would hit.

I turned on the radio, trying to distract myself but it didn't work that much, as my thoughts kept swirling around the feeling of hurt I felt after hearing my friends met for a dinner party without inviting me, or even telling me.

They didn't want you there, you're just a burden to them. They're only acting friendly with you because they pity you. They're not really your friends, after all who could like someone like you?

I shook my head, trying to clear it of the negative and toxic thoughts that were flooding it and was relieved to have made it back home. I jumped out of the car and went directly to my room, curling up on my bed.