Go Timberwolves!

The atmosphere was electrifying when I reached the school on game night even though it wasn't dark yet

The atmosphere was electrifying when I reached the school on game night even though it wasn't dark yet. The sun was on its way down and people were busy building the bonfire and getting everything else ready before the other team arrived. Caroline was of course running the whole show and running from place to place to make sure everything was perfect. I quickly went over to her offering to help, which she gladly accepted. She sent me over to the drinks station to help Bonnie set everything up.

„How is it that Caroline still manages to rope you into helping when you're not even part of the squad anymore?" Bonnie asked shaking her head when she saw me approaching. The drink station was nothing more than a picnic table and beverage refrigerator under a small pavilion tent. I moved one of the tent's walls to duck inside.

„I offered," I shrugged, hip-bumping her lightly. „I can't very well abandon you and Elena to Caroline's mercy when she's in organiser mode."

Bonnie snorted and handed me cans of soda to fill in the clear fridge. We both knew all too well how scary Caroline could get, but to her credit she was effective and her perfectionism practically always resulted in flawless events. I more than often thought she should open an event planning business after we'd finish school.

„Speaking of... have you seen Elena?" Bonnie interrupted my train of thought.

I furrowed my eyebrows. „No, why?"

Bonnie shrugged and bit her lip. „It's probably nothing, but she wasn't there when Caroline gave out assignments and she was supposed to be helping me here."

I paused at her words. It wasn't like Elena to flunk out like that without giving notice.

„She was probably just late and Caroline assigned her to another post," I said, grabbing more cans from Bonnie.

„Yeah, probably."

We continued working for a little while after that, chatting away about school and boys, and the old times when I used to be on the squad. I had to admit that every time I'd see Bonnie, Caroline or Elena in their cheer uniforms I felt nostalgic. I still had my old maroon uniform in my closet, which still fit perfectly. I remember the times we would hang out in mine or Caroline's backyard and go over the routines and particular challenging moves. It was easier times back then, less drama, less heartache. But then I had the accident. It was the middle of last year's season. I was a flyer and a stunt went wrong. My right shoulder got dislocated and I had a tear in my ligaments. I was completely out of commission for the rest of the season.

„You miss it, huh?" Bonnie asked, having caught me staring.

„I do, but I'm also scared. The pain is still vivid in my memory," I murmured, while I rubbed my shoulder.

„You could start out small again. Staying on the ground, no tumbling that puts too much strain on your shoulder... I'm sure Caroline could find ways to arrange routines so you could be back in the squad," she suggested. „We all miss you."