The Night of the Comet

Bright sunlight woke me up the next morning, and I rolled around in bed, content, knowing that I didn't had school today

Bright sunlight woke me up the next morning, and I rolled around in bed, content, knowing that I didn't had school today. A quick look on my phone indicated that it was 9 am. I stretched a little and quickly got up. It was the perfect weather for a jog and I missed the exercise.

Once outside, I put my earbuds in and just ran, enjoying the warmth of the sun and the nice breeze, not paying attention to where I was going. But as I jogged the events of the last few days circled around in my head, the couple, the party, Vicki, Duke, Stefan, Damon... There was something I missed, I could feel it. Something wasn't quite right. I tried to clear my head of these thoughts, not wanting to spoil my good mood, but they clung at the back of my throat like a bad aftertaste.

Before I really noticed it, my feet had brought me to Matt's street. I saw him coming out of his house and slowed down before coming to a stop.

     „Hey, Lorraine," he greeted with a wave as he saw me. I smiled back at him taking my earbuds out.

     „Hey Matt, what's up?"

     „I'm taking Vicki home," he says his eyes lighting up. „She's getting released this morning."

     „That's amazing!" I said genuinely happy for him, while gently touching his arm. „Will she be able to go to the Night of the Comet tonight?"

     „Yeah, she should be fine, as long as she doesn't rip open her stitches," Matt said smiling. „You're back to running, I see?"

     „Nothing better to clear one's head," I said shrugging. „I'll see you and Vicki later then?"

     „Sure, see you," he said before climbing into his car and driving off.

My smile fell as he turned the corner. On the one side, seeing him made the butterflies in my stomach flutter, but on the other side, it also reminded me every time that he never saw more in me than a childhood friend, a little sister at best, and it hurt like hell. Before I could wallow in sadness I put my earbuds back in and continued my run.

I arrived home a little later, and went straight into the shower. After coming back out and getting dressed I walked back down to the first floor to see my dad's small suitcase next to the stairs.

     „Ah, there you are," Dad said as he came out of the kitchen, his lab coat hanging over his arm. „I need to go back upstate, there's a problem at the plant."

     „Aren't you staying for the night of the comet?" I asked a little disappointed that he was going away again.

He looked at me apologetically. „I'm sorry, sweetheart. But they need me. I'll still be able to see it though, don't worry. I should be back in time for the Founder's Party."

I watched him as he moved around the house, grabbing stuff he needed, while looking at his watch every other second.

     „Lorraine, dear, can you do me a favour? I need you to go to the Salvatore boarding house, Zach has prepared something that I need before going. Take my car real quick, would you?"