New guys and old crushes

Hello everyone!

I realize I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon here, given the fact that TVD is finished now. But as I just decided to give it a rewatch (and mostly finally finishing the series, as I stopped watching mid-season 4 years ago), I had this idea of a fanfiction and decided to share it with you guys :) I hope you enjoy it and that it helps to keep TVD alive for you.

 But as I just decided to give it a rewatch (and mostly finally finishing the series, as I stopped watching mid-season 4 years ago), I had this idea of a fanfiction and decided to share it with you guys :) I hope you enjoy it and that it helps to ...

I took a deep breath as I entered the school grounds, familiar faces all around me, hugging, chatting as everyone came back to Mystic Falls for the new school year. I smiled and waved back at the people greeting me in passing while I tried to make my way through the sea of people to the inside of the building in search of my best friends. I scanned the crowd with watchful eyes, and it, fortunately, didn't take me too long to find my tall and blonde friend, Caroline Forbes, who happened to stand right next to my other best friends Elena and Bonnie.

Just as I managed to reach the group, Caroline headed off, not seeing me behind her.

     „Aaaaand, she's gone!" I sighed, shaking my head in played exasperation.

     „Lori!" Bonnie exclaimed and pulled me into a tight hug. „We missed you!"

     „Well, it's nice to be back," I said as she released me. Her dark hair looked like it had grown at least a couple of inches and her dark skin positively glowed. The summer break certainly did her good. I looked over to Elena and guilt washed right over me. I pulled her into a hug too, burying my face into her long brown hair.

     „I'm sorry I wasn't there... I wanted to, I swear. You're always welcome to stay at my place, you know that, right ?" I said, whispering low enough that she would be the only one to hear it.

I pulled back, looking into her big chocolate eyes and searching for confirmation that she understood me.

Elena was there for me when my grandma died, a person that was more of a parent to me than my dad, and I sure as hell would be there for her after her parents had died.

     „I know," she answered me, putting on a smile, „but I'm much better now, really."

I raised an eyebrow, not buying it, but I let her be for now.

     „So how was your summer?" Elena asked effectively changing the subject. „You look good," she said admiring how tan my olive skin had gotten.

     „Californian sun. Any longer and I would have come back with blonde hair," I said grabbing a strand of my light brown hair that had gotten significantly lighter over the summer. „And don't even get me started on the tan lines!"

Laughing, I pulled down my jeans half an inch, so they could see the harsh line on my waist.

     „Well I have to agree, it does suit you, it really brings out your hazel eyes," Bonnie said smiling warmly.