Harbinger of Evil

When we walked outside I could feel the excitement in the air

When we walked outside I could feel the excitement in the air. The better part of Mystic Falls had gathered in the town square celebrating a big flaming rock above us. It was a beautiful night. Lights lit up the trees in the square, soft music played on someone's portable speakers, kids ran around with sparklers and the sweet scent of fresh popcorn filled my nose. In that moment I couldn't help but to feel genuinely happy and content.

We strolled towards the centre of the square, between families sitting on picnic blankets, where Caroline, Matt and Tyler already waited. Caroline waved at us when she spotted us, a big grin on her face, and quickly made her way towards us.

     „I got you candles," she said and handed them to us. I thanked her and linked arms with her as we walked over to the guys. My heart fluttered when I caught Matt's gaze, even though I tried my best to suppress it. It quickly calmed down though, seeing the way Matt still looked at Elena. His face lit up and his smile was disarming. Not even Elena was totally immune to that charm. He stepped forward when we got closer, his attention solely on his ex-girlfriend as he lighted her candle. Bonnie, who probably caught me staring, pushed me onwards to the bench Tyler was sitting on.

     „Ladies..." Tyler greeted us. I watched him absentmindedly as he lighted my candle. I thanked him as he moved on to Caroline's candle, while I helped Bonnie with hers.

I could hear Caroline start a conversation with Tyler, but I quickly detached myself from it and looked up to where the comet was shining brightly in the night sky. It was quite bigger than I imagined, a large ball of fire and ice, soaring through sky and eclipsing the stars around it through its brightness. I suddenly felt very small and insignificant as I watched the celestial bodies shining down on us. The universe was so much bigger, that the whole planet we're living on, represented not evening a grain of dust in it and my problems felt meaningless in comparison.

     „Bonnie says it's a harbinger of evil," I heard Caroline joking.

     „A what?" I asked, turning to my friends. Bonnie looked rather annoyed, and knowing Caroline could be rather inconsiderate, I guessed the blonde probably mocked the statement earlier on.

     „According to Bonnie's grandma, the comet is a sign of impending doom! Whoo-oooh" Caroline answered in an over-the-top mysterious voice before laughing loudly. Bonnie gave her the stink-eye, clearly not amused by her impression.

I stepped closer to Bonnie. „What else did she tell you?" I asked quietly so that Caroline, who started talking about another subject already, didn't hear us.

     „Nothing, just forget it, okay?", Bonnie answered curtly.

     „Come on, Bonnie," I pleaded. I was genuinely interested in the whole story. While Caroline might think that Sheila Bennet was just a crazy old woman, I knew she was anything but.

Bonnie's expression softened when she saw my face and nodded slightly.

     „She said that the last time it passed over Mystic Falls, there was lots of death. So much blood and carnage it created a bed of paranormal activity," she whispered.