Chapter 10 - Emerald Cut

Soundwave orbited Earth steadily, accompanied by one of several satellites. Endlessly, he processed all incoming and outgoing communication. Anything that put out a signal, he was privy to.

The decepticon gazed upon the smaller planet beneath him. Cybertron made the organic sphere look like a footnote. Of all the planets in the universe, it had to be one of the most primitive in nature.

"This is Joann coming at you from channel five news regarding the climb in recent weather patterns-"

"Hey honey, when will you be home? I've got the girls from school and-"

"This is team Bravo to team alpha. No sign of autobot or decepticon life, copy."

The large bot turned his helm toward the satellite in interest, optics brightening as he tuned in.

"Copy, nothing here either. Randevu with Lockdown. Over."

Soundwave growled to himself.

Megatron lived and so did many of their army, that he knew for certain. He'd received his Lord's ping only a deca-cycle previously. No orders had been given nor received. He'd pinged back in silent communication, as if saying "I hear you and I know".

He would wait for his leader's word, no matter how long it'd take.

But, desperate times called for desperate measures.

Human forces weren't a problem, a nuisance, sure, but no problem (or match) for Cybertronians and, yet they were forced into hiding, biting their time with dwindled numbers. Autobot activities had all, but vanished, leaving Soundwave to wonder what happened.

And now he knew.

The humans had help. Lockdown. How had he not seen him? Information rarely escaped the decepticon.

The opposite side of the planet. The dark side.

The answer was so simple it came to him in a klik, if only he'd caught his error sooner. Soundwave grumbled his indignation and disgust into the vastness of space, his denta bared.

Hypocrites. Both of them.

Detaching himself from the satellite, Soundwave free floated as he queued into his hailing frequency. "Soundwave to Megatron. Soundwave to Megatron..." 

_______________

"I didn't hear what you were saying. I live on raw emotion, baby. I answer questions, never maybe." Speckles of black paint decorated Lauren and her clothes as she applied a second coat to the vintage fridge, head bobbing subtly along to the beat of the song. "And I'm not kind if you betray me. So, who the hell are you to save me?"

Megatron sat hunched, hand rested atop his knee servo and he further attempted to tune his hailing frequency, but he could get it quite right. Occasionally, he'd catch a snippet of sound, but then it was gone just as quickly as it came.

It was equal parts tedious and infuriating.

Lauren chanced a glance over her shoulder at the alien warlord. Frustration plagued his metal features with a snarl and a glare. Not that it was an uncommon sight. If anything, she'd be worried if he weren't scowling. The something would really be wrong.

His metal claws reached up to fiddled with his exposed wiring. Rough static jammed his audio receptors with no luck.

A roar and a slam of his fist shook the barn and earth it sat on.

Lauren gasped as she narrowly caught her small paint can from painting the floor in a fresh coat of 'deep charcoal'.

Turning and getting to her feet, she hesitantly approached. "You okay?"