Chapter 17 - Curtail

"No, of course not honey, I-"

"Hey, this is your mother calling. You seemed a little tense last night and I just wanted to make sure-"

"I'll be home soon sweetheart. Tell Jake I said 'I love you'." 

"Copy. Gather ground troop 127 and deploy them to the Eastern US Namibia outpost. I want them debriefed in ten hours time. I want this lined transferred and secured. Mister Attinger will kill us if-"  

Soundwave growled to himself darkly in satisfaction. Found you. The mech's optics drifted over to Megatron from where he stood idle. Human black op troops meant Lockdown wouldn't be far to follow. Worse, he'd show up and scope the cotenant first and foremost before any insect laid foot on the sand. That seemed more the bounty hunter's speed. Aviation Administration scans showed no abnormal readings, but those too could be inconclusive when dealing with the mech in question. 

Human infrastructure was a fickle thing, after all. Though, nothing could be said for Cybertron's sake.

The communications officer watched as the small human femme bustled too and from, tools in hand and sweat making her flushed skin sheen in the hot sunlight. He could hear her from where he chose to station himself; far enough away to not be considered looming, but close enough that if anything were to happen he could step in at a moment's notice.

Lauren pulled at the fabric over her nose, yanking it to hang slack around her neck. Sweat soaked the dirtied mask and she sucked in warm air greedily. It had to be hotter than it had been the day previously, or maybe she was just exhausting herself. Both were a possibility. Setting aside her blow torch, she used the hem of her shirt to wipe at her forehead. The music from the satellite radio crooned on and she swore she could hear the sun boiling her blood, but really, it could be that it was her heartbeat. Who was to know? 

"So, what do you think?" She half panted, her hands atop her hips as she stared up at the decepticon overlord, blue eyes squinted in an effort to spare her corneas of the sun's fiery onslaught. 

Megatron flexed his arm, considerably pleased with the improved weight and resistance the newly added metal provided. It made him bulkier and, in his humble opinion, a force to be reckoned with. "I will condone your efforts once you finish your work, bug." 

"Yeah, you're welcome." The short haired woman gave a lopsided smile before chugging back some equally warm water. The large clothes that draped from her frame served both as an annoyance and an inconvenience in their ability to trap excess heat. She had half the mind to haul off and chop the cargos into crude shorts, but then she'd be exposed to mosquitos and God knows what else.

There truly was no winning. 

Despite her apparent disdain for the clothing, Blackout had been a dear- courtesy of a commanding order- and strung up some stray awning to create a makeshift canopy for her and she couldn't be more thankful for the offered shade. Beneath it homed her gathered supplies, the truck she had no business driving, and all the random scrap that had been collected. It came to her then that maybe the canopy was to spare the integrity of the metals and she rolled her eyes. 

Setting the water aside, she dialed the music up louder, retrieved her torch, and approached the mech as she yanked the cloth back up to obscure her face  from metal debris. With both his arms said and done, she'd move onto what remained. His legs did not and could not use much more fortification, save for the dents and dings she could cover. With the mech's helping hand, his legs were done in no time. 

"You are no longer required for the day, go girl." He had tried to brush her off in favor of marveling himself, the itch for a fight brewed deep in his spark.