Chapter 31 - Détente

Optimus Prime hadn't said a single word on the drive back to, what they now were calling, base. In fact nobody said a whole lot of anything. Cade rested himself against the driver's side door, deep in contemplation, his eyes trained on the road. Shane and Tessa sat in silence beside him, casting weary glances to the father.

Bumblebee kept pace at the autobot leader's shoulder, the other trailed close behind in a tight knit convoy.

She- Lauren- was certainly the woman from the KSI drone footage, despite the noticeable shortening of her hair. So many questions circulated the Prime's mind as he replayed the encounter over and over on repeat, trying to justify what he saw. Only more questions spawned out of his contemplation.

It'd make sense if she were being held prisoner, why Megatron would've had her in the first place, but that was blatantly not the case.

He'd been down right shocked when she threw her body atop Barricade, atop a decepticon of all people. Much too small to shield him from anything and yet she still made an attempt, a valiant one at that, at protecting the violent cruiser. So ready to throw her own life away, it was almost as unnerving as it was heroic. 

Never had he seen a decepticon prone to gentleness, or a version of it. Humans weren't high on their list of priorities, that was for sure, so why?

What possessed her to act in such a manner?

Optimus's thoughts were eventually pulled back to the mech in question, Megatron. Not in over five million years had he left an encounter with the bot unscathed. The autobot frowned inwardly at the realization. His spark was tired.

The convoy rolled up to the abandoned chapel, making their way inside swiftly. Cade was quick to exit the truck cab, dragging his daughter along with him.

The autobot leader wasted no time in his transformation, his comrades followed immediately after.

"I thought we were losing our heads out there! I'm tired of hiding! I say they get what they deserve, the lot of them!" Crosshairs snapped, his hand massaged his sore jaw while his free hand swatted away his trench coat like armor. "The hell was the lass? Huh?"

Hound removed his helmet, dropping it to the floor with a grumble. "Humans, bunch of back stabbin' weasels." He set his shotgun aside, throwing a lazy glance to the human trio. "No offense."

"Blimy." The aussie bit. "You, stowaway, you were with the girl."

Cade snapped his eyes up to the mech. "Hey, don't look at me, I know just as much as the rest of you. She's just some kid." He shrugged.

"Children." Drift commented as he moved through the cathedral.

"You want to talk children? You and the yellow bugger couldn't keep your greasy fingers on her!" Crosshairs insulted. "When are you gonna grow up?"

"I'll show you a grown up." The small yellow mech glared with a whirr of his radio.

"Cut the crap, you were losing your ass in the heat of it." Hound jabbed gruffly.

"All of you, stop!" Optimus commanded sternly, his features set in a hard glare. "What is with you all?"

"Us ? You're the bloke not saying anything!" Crosshairs pointed. "Aren't you supposed to be 'Mister leader of the free world'?"

"Wait, you're blaming him?" Cade gaped in disbelief.

"Here he goes." Hound sat himself down with a deep chassis groan.

"Oh, up yourself you bogan."

"Don't go there, you don't want that fight." Hound warned.

Optimus groaned, pinching the bridge of his nasal ridge, hand propped upon his hip servo. "I know just as much on the matter as the rest of you and I must say it's giving me a headache." He groaned, leaning up against the wall.