I. The Dragon's Call (Part I)

Season One

EXT. HILLSIDE

A figure clambered enthusiastically up a steep hillside.

The Great Dragon voiced, "...No young man or woman, no matter how great, can know their destiny. They cannot glimpse their part in the great story that is about to unfold..." the figure negotiated the rocks that would lead him to the summit, "...Like everyone, they must live and learn..." the figure neared the brow. Ahead of him, slowly rising into view were soaring spires and turrets, "...And so it will be for the young witch and warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A boy and girl that will in time father and mother a legend. Their names: Merlin and Eliora."

Merlin looked at the sight that befell him; Camelot.

EXT. CAMELOT STREETS

Merlin hurried through the city gates. The road was jammed with carts and people pouring into the city. He was barely able to contain their excitement. He pushed his way through the traffic, keen to taste the noisy colourful world the kingdom offered.

Merlin made his way along the busy thoroughfare. High on the hill above stood the great citadel of Uther Pendragon.

MAIN SQUARE

Whistles, drums, and other assorted things sounded. An eager, jubilant crowd was gathered in a large cobblestone square. A trumpet blasted out a fanfare. Merlin hurried to join the back of the audience. The crowd fell silent, the only sound the steady beat of a drum. A man with his head bowed was being ceremoniously led across the square. The drum stopped and a voice spoke. The smiling brother and sister looked up and saw King Uther.

Uther stood on a balcony above the crowd. "Let this serve as a lesson to you all..." He stared into the faces of the crowd. "This man, Thomas James Collins..." Merlin craned to find a better viewpoint, "...is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic." Merlin's excitement paled. "And pursuant to the Laws of Camelot, these practises are banned by my Royal Command."

The crowd murmured. A figure watched from a narrow window high above the square; Morgana, displeased about what she was seeing.

Uther continued. "I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for a crime this malevolent... there is only one sentence I can pass. Take the prisoner forth..." A drumroll sounded and the crowed leaned forward, straining to get sight of the condemned man.

Merlin clambered onto a wooden scaffold, supporting a grandstand of temporary tiered seating, offering him a better view. He saw the condemned man and saw the executioner raising his axe, then glanced at Uther who had his hand aloft. Uther let his hand fall. The executioner took his cue and swung the axe. At the window, Morgana flinched, then turned away.

Uther's booming voice sounded in the square, his arms still aloft. "When I came to this land the kingdom was in chaos - but we changed all that." He smiled. "With your help the dragons were defeated and magic driven from the realm. So I declare this week a holiday to celebrate ten years of my reign - ten years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil practice of sorcery!" He raised a goblet. "Let the celebrations begin!"

The cheers of approval were immediately interrupted by an old woman, Mary Collins. The crowd recoiled at the sight of her grotesque, withered face as she pushed her way into the open square.

Mary shouted at Uther. "There s only one evil in this land and it is not magic - it is you! Your hatred and your ignorance." Guards hurried from the crowd and circled the woman. "You took my son and I warn you - before your celebrations are complete, you will share my tears! An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son!"