XII. A Remedy to Cure All Ills (Part II)

EDWIN'S GUEST CHAMBERS

Gaius entered and said, "Edwin. Your scar has healed well. I often wondered what happened to that poor young boy."

"I told you we've never met before," Edwin told him.

"I didn't realise who you were until I checked the records. You used your mother's maiden name. You are Gregor and Jaden's son."

"They were friends of yours."

"They were sorcerers."

"They practised magic. And so did a lot of people back then, Gaius."

"Uther will be furious when he finds out who you are."

"Fine. Fine. Shall we tell him? Let's go and tell him. Let's tell him. Let's tell him everything. Ooh, I know... We could also tell him about Merlin."

"Merlin?"

"You didn't know he was a sorcerer? Ah. I wonder what Uther will do. Probably have him burnt."

"You would betray another sorcerer?"

"You did. When you turned a blind eye and let my parents die at the hands of Uther! At least Merlin doesn't have a son who will try to rescue him from the flames!"

"You're here to take revenge."

"And I have waited a long time."

"You think I will sacrifice the King to save Merlin?"

"Think about it, Gaius. But if I find out that you have told one other person, including the boy, I will go straight to Uther."

Merlin entered and said, "We got your provisions."

"Oh, thank you, Merlin. Gaius was just reminiscing about old times, weren't you, Gaius?"

"Yes," Gaius replied.

"But now, I must get back to work."

CENTRAL CORRIDOR

"I'd better get on with my errands," Merlin said.

"Yes, of course, you must," Gaius agreed.

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine. Just do what Edwin asks."

COUNCIL CHAMBER

Edwin stood before Uther, Morgana and Arthur as he said, "I have been through the court medical records with a fine-tooth comb, Sire."

"And were your findings satisfactory?" Uther asked.

"With regret, I would have to say they were not."

"How so?"

"Gaius is a great man, thorough, and dedicated."

"But?"

Edwin sighed. "His methods are outdated. He has failed to keep up with the latest developments. This has led to a number of errors."

"Gaius has served me well for 20 years."

"And one cannot blame him for the infirmity those years have brought. Age can be a terrible curse."

"Perhaps it is time to lighten his burdens. Have you given any more thought to my offer?"

"Yes. I have considered it very carefully."

"Allow me some time to do the same."

Edwin bowed and left. Uther got up and went to the table for a drink. Morgana followed him.

"Uther, you can't do this," Morgana said.

"You heard what he said. Gaius is old, he makes mistakes."

"Gaius has treated me since before I can remember. You can't cast him out."