XVII. Excalibur (Part I)

INT. KING'S PALACE – BURIAL VAULTS – NIGHT

Nimueh spoke a spell. "Gehíere mé' wan cniht áwæce. Beo strangra ond steacra for brecþ wáne. úprærest wærc, Uther Pendragon."

Tristan de Bois' grave cracked and a gauntlet hand broke through, causing her to smile.

INT. KING'S PALACE – HALL OF CEREMONIES – NIGHT

Arthur knelt before Uther. Gwen and Eliora stood next to Merlin in the crowd.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther said.

"I do, Sire," Arthur replied.

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?"

"I do, Sire."

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?"

"I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the kingdom and its peoples."

"Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot."

The court applauded. Arthur stood and faced the crowd.

"So how does it feel to be servant to the Crown Prince of Camelot?" Gwen asked.

"Washing his royal socks will be even more of a privilege," Merlin said.

"You're proud of him, really. Even though you complain about him constantly."

"I am not."

"You are," Eliora said with a smile. "Gwen and I can see it in your face."

"Those socks are very clean! Of course I'm proud of them."

Gwen and Eliora laughed. A black armoured knight on a horse burst through the stained-glass window. Arthur and the knights drew their swords.

"What in the devil's name?" Uther said.

The horse walked to Arthur and the Black Knight threw down a gauntlet. Uther saw the crest on the Black Knight's shield with surprise. Arthur sheathed his sword to pick up the gauntlet, but another knight got there first.

"I, Sir Owain, accept your challenge," Sir Owain said.

"Single combat," Tristan told him. "Noon tomorrow. Till the death."

The Black Knight rode out.

"Have you ever seen this Black Knight before?" Merlin asked.

"I don't believe so," Gaius replied.

"You didn't recognise his crest?"

"Crest?"

"Which house is it?"

"I'm not sure. I didn't see it that clearly."

"But he's not someone you'd forget in a hurry, is he?"

"No."

"So you don't think he's from around here?"

"That would seem likely."

"Then what's he doing here?"

"Merlin, your faith in my all-seeing knowledge is both touching and wholly misplaced. Maybe if you've finished your work, you could go to bed and leave me to finish mine."

"Okay, we're going. Gaius?"

"Merlin."

"Do you think Owain can beat him?"