1~

It  was  coward of me to leave, but I couldn't stay in that city anymore. There were too many reminders of her.

I needed a new scenery something to make me forget the pain she'd inflicted on me. We had  built a life together (a pretty damn good one at that), but deep down I knew it'd never be a home.

I went back to my real home, where I last remembered who I was, where I could feel like my old self again.

The large two story house had looked the same as I had remembered.

I could barely walk through the door without my mother embracing me.

The smell of barbecue and greens invaded my nose as I stepped inside the house. 

"My baby is home," She said tear eyed.

Kevin came and shook my hand, before leading me to the back for a beer.

"Hey son," He said smiling up at me.

I had embraced my old man silently thanking him for being the father I needed over the course of my life.

Although I knew Kevin wasn't my biological father he's treated me better and provided for me better than my absent father has ever.

As a young boy, I needed a role model such as Kevin in my life. He taught me how to deal with my pent up aggression against my real father. When he'd pick me up from school, teachers would always ask if that was my father. It was surprising to me how people could be so racist and judgmental about me having a black father.

Everything I am now is because of Kevin and my mother.

It had been years since I had stepped foot inside this house. I hadn't expected to see so many familiar faces, yet alone be thrown a party welcoming me home.

The home hadn't changed much since I'd been gone, we still had the same neighbors and family pretty much.

"Thank You guys for the party," I said thanking them.

"No problem baby, now go out to the back the whole family's back there waiting." She said ushering me out the house.

"Alright, thank you mamma." I said giving her a hug.

"I  got you a job at the local high school teaching business. I thought you should do some good since you're taking some time off from the company. There's no reason to let your talent go to waste, help some students who have similar interests in business. I know you're already some big fancy CEO but I expect you to give back to the community of people who raised you." She said shaking her head.

You know what they say, "It takes a village to raise a family."

I chucked a bit at her words, she'd said this almost a million times before.

Kevin just sipped his drink laughing at my mothers words.

I walked out the sliding door to greet the rest of my family and neighbors.

I was surprised to see many of my friends from high school had settled down and had kids already. I didn't know what to expect, but I was still living the bachelor life at 24.