4~

A smile stretched across my face as I looked up to see my little brother sprawled out across the bed.

Rolling over onto my side I could still feel his small foot pushed into the arch of my back.

I was left sleep deprived after having been viciously attacked by my younger brothers sleep habits.

I groaned as I sat up, pulling the comforter off the bed, laughing as he sprung up like a cat. He sunk back into the bed curling up into a ball grabbing at the air, I tossed the comforter back into his body before getting ready to start my day.

The khaki skirt dug into my waist, seeing that it was many sizes too small. I slid on a hoodie wearing only a tank top beneath, before lacing my tired Nike running shoes. Although tedious, I enjoyed wearing the same boring uniform. It left no room for error, I didn't have to worry about others liking my style of clothing because we all wore the same thing.

It seemed that most mornings went by fast, while I was left trying to catch up. I didn't have much time to make a proper breakfast, so I threw some items into a blender and pored the contents of the smoothie into a cup. I think this was the reason I had so many failed attempts at a diet, most of the time having a smoothie only filled me up for less than 2% of my day. By lunch I'd be starving begging for a bite of a thin mint. Sad, I know.

I sighed, running my fingers through my braids occasionally wincing at the tightness. This was going to be it, my last year of high school. I don't know if I was expecting more, but where did the years go.

Most of my friends had cars, while I was apart of the unfortunate group of high schoolers whose parents couldn't afford the luxuries of life. Although I was thankful for the basic necessities it kind of sucked to always be the odd one out. I never want my kids to struggle, but I know damn well they won't be spoiled either. Everything they have, they'll be reminded of what it took to earn.

I sat on the passenger side, throwing my things in the back seat, as I waited patiently in traffic. After countless minutes we eventually made it to my high school, which was pretty big considering the stereotypes about Texas. I waved my mom goodbye, even though I could see her rolling her eyes from the window. That was probably the reason she never bought me a new skirt, she thought I'd loose some weight and it'll eventually fit.

The bell surprisingly rang, as I was climbing the stairs to my advocacy class to retrieve my new schedule. I walked into the classroom realizing my advocacy teacher was the same from last year. I sighed happily, glad I would see a familiar face of the family weekly.

I smiled while walking up to her desk and pulling out a pen to sign the roster.

"Hello Ms. Fleming"

"Oh sweetie call me Loya when it's just us," she said looking back down her papers.

I nodded slowly, trying to get accustomed to the name, before sliding down into my chair.

It seemed like very few people actually came to advocacy on the first day, so again I was left alone in the classroom with very few students.

Another con of being a car less senior was your off campus turned into teacher assistants or office workers. Either way people would know you didn't have a life and neither a car.

My eyes widened in surprise, as I saw my best friend from freshman year who had moved away to Las Vegas. I smiled waving my hand in her direction, not expecting her to turn her nose up at me. I slowly drop my friendly hand and insert both of my headphones to distract myself from the pettiness coming off in waves.
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .