9~

RECAP

"Yeah she's right baby, I thought you wouldn't mind since its a girl. Aren't you glad we're finally getting along?"

"Grab your things and go" I demanded.

I walked away to my room as I heard fake tears from my ex fiancé Shelby.

All I could wonder was how long was this going on for?

A part of me was relieved because she made it easier to let her go without the guilt.

_________________________________

I frown, as my eyes glance around the small diner skeptically. I'd lied to my parents about staying at a friend house, just to spend my weekend driving around with Max all night.

When the car finally stopped we were in front of a diner, which looked like a place that black parents warned you about not going to at night.

"Max where are we? I swear to god if we're lost I'm going to-"

"You're going to what?" He interjected, squeezing my thigh tightly to make a point.

I huffed, ignoring his arrogant smirk.

"Come on, we're about to get out." He said reaching over and unbuckling my seat belt.

"But daddy, I thought I was spending the weekend at your house. Why are we here?" I said batting my lashes to get his attention.

"Do I have to explain everything to you?"

"No but-"

"Then Stop acting like a brat, get out. We're going to be staying at my family cabin, but first we need to stop and set some food."

"Fine" I mumbled, turning my back to him.

I heard his door open, before slamming closed making me flinch. I continued to sit in my seat as my side of the door opened. Instead of taking his hand, i pushed myself out of the seat walking past him.

He quickly caught up to me, as he snatched me by my hand to his side quickly. I tried moving away from him, but he held on tightly.

I almost wanted to cry because of how tight he was holding my hand, but I continued on.

Who was he to treat my like a child? First my parents, now him? I knew spending the weekend with him was going to be a bad idea.

As soon as we walked into the diner, I was hit with the smell of dirty mop water and vegetable oil. It took everything in me not to be rude and cover my nose.

Everything seemed to be normal except the few people who'd been staring me down since I sat down. It was like they'd never seen a black girl, yet alone one walking in with a white man.

I looked around feeling cautious with everyone's stares, while Maddox didn't seem to notice. I sighed feeling the pressure of trying to not only date my teacher, but a white man who didn't seem to understand my own struggles.

"What's wrong baby?"

"It's nothing," I said said flipping through the menu.

"Tell me what's wrong, I'll make it better"

I tried to smile, but it came out more like a grimace,"It's just everyone's staring."

He nodded his head before interlacing our fingers together, as we waited for a waitress.

I smiled looking up at Max's brown eyes as they drew me in giving me a feeling of warmth. I felt a little better with him holding my hand, it relieved some pressure off of me. He looked down at me making my dark skin heat up, as he'd caught me staring.

"It's rude to stare," He said teasing.

"Too bad," I said sticking my tongue out.

"You look beautiful tonight," He said smiling sheepishly.

"Yep totally, in jeans and a shirt"

"You're welcome babe."

I rolled my eyes playfully, before sighing in relief when I saw a waiter come.

It was an older lady who looked to be in her late 60s, but had a beautiful smile.

"What can I get you two love birds?"

* *

*. *

In front of me was a plate of freshly steamed broccoli along side pasta with spaghetti sauce. I smiled glancing up at him before taking a bite of my food. He'd somehow knew I didn't eat meat, and had took the time to order for me.

"Thank You," I said as he gave me a knowing smile.

We'd somehow ended up ordering some cheap alcoholic drinks from this old fashioned diner.

I allowed myself to partake in the red wine, which didn't seem to faze Maddox.

Although we were silent, just being in each other's company was enough for the night at least. For once I was careless, allowing myself to be free and thoughtless. I enjoyed all the night had to offer, even if that was cheap wine and hateful stares. It was as if our laughter drowned out everything else.

"Are you enjoying the wine young lady? I think that's enough." He said trying to take my glass.

"Aww you're no fun Max, you're always Mr. Bossy-pants, never any fun," I said gulping down the rest of the contents in my glass.

"Maisha I allowed you to have more than enough, come on." He said grabbing my hands.

There goes that word, he "allowed" me.

"Okay I'm done," I said putting my hands up on a surrendering manner.

"It's not like you care about me, don't think I didn't notice this sham of a date. You drove a few towns over just to take me to some diner." I said slightly sour.

"We still have to keep on the down low until you are of age" He said.

"How much lower could we get, this place is closer to a dump." I said giggling to myself at my own joke.

I could tell he was getting angry by the redness in his face, but yet I couldn't bring myself to stop talking.

"Is that what you say to all your girls?"

"I'm not about to have this discussion with you while you're drunk, let's go." He says throwing a few bills on the table.

"You're not the boss of me, I'm not a little girl."

If I thought everyone was staring, even the old waitress stopped and stared.

"Then stop acting like one, last time I checked I'm in charge."

Tightly grabbing my wrist he forced me outside, I want to cry. I didn't want to be vulnerable in front of him, so I tried to keep the tears at bay.

It didn't seem like it was working, as soon as I got in the car I curled up in a ball and turned torwards the door. The tears began to fall quickly, but Maddox picked up my heavy body and placed me against his chest.

I wanted to be mad at him, but I couldn't. There was something about him that made it hard for me to hate him.

I began to hiccup as the tears were coming to a end, he rubbed my back soothingly.

"I'm sorry," He said before placing me in my seat and starting the car.

I could feel the heaviness gravity had on my body. As I allowed my droopy eyelids to close and sleep to overtake me.
___________________________________

Dedicated to @annzgi

This awesome reader reminded me to stay in top of my updating schedule by posting on my page. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and feel free to drop suggestions below or private message me if you have any questions.