22. Hourglass

A/N: you asked and now you'll receive. nobody could decide on whether they wanted a short update or a long one so I settled in the middle—a little over 5k. HUGE trigger warnings for this chapter so read with caution if you're easily triggered. otherwise, hope you enjoy!

"You're leaving…"

It's more of an observation than it is a question but Hitoshi is more than aware that his father is expecting some sort of an explanation—something that he had yet to offer even to Katsuki upon startling him from his sleep and telling him to pack their miniscule belongings as quickly as he can. He hadn't expected Shota to be waiting for them on their way out, sitting at the kitchen table in the dark as if he'd already known that Hitoshi would run off in the dead of night. The mercenary mutely thinks to himself that he should have expected as much but standing there under his father's scrutiny still gives him an uneasy sense of discomfort—like a teenager that's just been caught sneaking out past their curfew.

"We are. Just think that maybe we've been in one spot for too long. Don't want to get too comfortable when there's so much at stake here." Hitoshi finally breaks the stifling silence between them with a stiff shrug.

"You weren't going to say goodbye."

Because he knew that if he'd told his father that he was leaving without a plan, he'd try to convince him to stay. He'd get himself involved in this much bigger mess that Hitoshi has gotten himself into. It's bad enough that he's being faced with potentially losing the love of his life. He doesn't want to lose his father as well—however estranged they may be.

He has to get Katsuki somewhere safe and get rid of Chisaki as soon as possible. He can't face an army as big as Midoriya's with Kai and his circus of idiots in the way.

"Didn't want you to be worried."

"I'd be less concerned if you weren't running out of here like there was hellfire on your ass instead of like someone who was trying to play it safe." The older man says with a pointed look. Frankly, Hitoshi is unsure of what to tell him. Should he admit that he'd gone and kicked the hornet's nest when he was already in an impossibly sticky situation? Regardless of what excuse he may offer, it's fairly clear that Shota can sense that something is wrong. He won't be able to comfort him with vague simplifications. 

"You came here for help, son."

He does need help. For the first time in his life, he's in way over his head. He thought that he could handle this. He thought that it would be easy. But he can't just shoot his way out of this one. He doesn't have the guns, the ammo, or the manpower.

For the first time in his entire life, Hitoshi isn't confident that he'll make it out of this contract alive.

If Shota tries to help him, then he'll die too.

But he has to live. Katsuki has to live.

At the very least, the two of them will have each other once he's gone. It'll be a much better world for them without monsters like Chisaki and Midoriya around. Monsters like him.

They can finally be happy.

They can finally be free.

And he refuses to allow Shota to jeopardize that by finally being a father for once.

"I shouldn't have. I shouldn't have come here at all. I should've just handled this myself instead of dragging you into this when all you wanted to do was leave this life behind."

This seems to catch Shota by the ankle, bolting up from his chair as Hitoshi grabs Katsuki by the hand and tries to make his way to the door but Shota blocks him.