11. Way Back Home

"Where the fuck are you?!"

Even though Katsuki's being screamed and cursed at, it feels good to hear the voices of his friends. He'd finally managed to get a decent charge on his phone via his car charger that Hitoshi had bought for him at a truck stop passing through Yokohama. He'd been bombarded by near hundreds of texts and voicemails, one in particularly that Yuga had been with Shouto since the night of the incident to help him look for Katsuki since he'd just vanished without a trace.

Upon calling them back, Katsuki could say he felt a weight lift from his chest. He hadn't known for sure what had happened to Yuga that night or if he'd even made it out alive but knowing that he's safe---that he's okay---fills him with a happiness he didn't think he'd ever get back.

"I'm sorry, I can't explain where I am right now but just know that I'm safe, okay? I'm gonna be fine. I'm in one piece, I'm not hurt at all and I'm being protected." He assures Shouto and Yuga both. They're crying---shit fucking breaks Katsuki's heart but if he tells them, who knows what kind of danger he'd be putting them in? He's unsure of whether or not Shouto is aware that Denki is somehow involved with this mess, so he should probably keep as much to himself as possible.

He changes the subject.

"Is everyone okay? The girls at the club?"

There's a long, lingering pause and Yuga let's out a sob.

"Camie and Nejire are missing. The cops think they were taken before they got there. There were signs of a struggle in their private rooms. Awase is dead. Shibara is dead."

Katsuki's breath catches in his throat.

"A-And Midnight?"

"...Midnight is dead."

Katsuki wants to laugh cynically and say that it's exactly what the fuck she deserves but the implications of what it means snatches the bitter comment away from him.

"Kats? C'mon, babe, gotta get on the road." Hitoshi startles Katsuki out of his dread, coffee in one hand and a plastic bag full of food in the other. Katsuki hadn't even heard him approach the car; hadn't seen him exit the gas station so he nearly drops his phone in the process of it fumbling about in his hands.

"Christ, Toshi, make a little more noise next time, would you?!"

"I called you twice before I even made it to the car; don't be dramatic. Chop, chop, baby, we've got a schedule to maintain." He reiterates, holding Katsuki's door open for him. Katsuki sighs, turning his attention back to his phone.

"Sorry, guys, I gotta---"

"You're with Hitoshi?" Shouto breathes out. Katsuki can already tell that the gears in his head are already turning to this of the worse case scenario. "I am, but he's keeping me safe so you don't have to worry, babe---"

"Are you being kidnapped?! Where are you, I'll call the police."

"Sweetheart, no, I'm not being kidnapped. Shouto, I need you to trust me. Hitoshi is keeping me safe right now. I won't be gone forever, baby, I promise. But Hitoshi isn't going to hurt me." He assures him and he hears a shaky breath on the other end.

"Hitoshi...is that young man who's been coming to book you every night." Yuga pieces together and Katsuki can already see where this is going.

"Yuga---"

"I'm just saying that it's really goddamn shady that he'd show up out of nowhere for months at a time right before this shit happened, Katsuki." His usually soft tone has been replaced by something else entirely and Katsuki hardly recognizes who he's talking to.

"Honey, we've already talked that out." He tries to placate him but there's a disbelieving laugh coming at him from the other end.

"Katsuki. Come home right this instant."

"I already told you that I can't, sweetie."

"Then you have to at least text or call or something to let us know you're okay, alright? I'm not messing around, Katsuki, I swear to God---"

"Yuga, Shouto. I'll keep in touch and I'll be home soon, I promise. You trust me?"

There's a pause, a series of sniffles coming from the other end.

"Y-Yeah."

"Of course, d-darling."

Katsuki feels himself tearing up and realizes that he has to get off of the phone before he goes into a full blown meltdown.

"G-Good. I love you, okay? I gotta go, I promise I'll call again soon."

"O-Okay..."

"You fuckin' better."

The line goes dead and Katsuki relaxes against the car, a long sigh coming from him as his breath catches on a sob and he quickly smacks himself against his cheek to regain some of his composure, but it doesn't work.

"Baby."

Katsuki looks up at Hitoshi, the older man having put there coffee and snack up onto the top roof of the car. He there's a guiltt look plastered onto his face and even a little bit of sympathy.

"C'mere, lemme hold you."

"N-No---"

"It's okay to cry, Katsuki. No one's here to judge you, baby boy, I promise. You can cry. Come here." And this time he extends both arms and Katsuki falls into him, tears soaking into the fabric of Hitoshi's shirt as he clings to him. Hitoshi wraps his arms around him tight, rough hands rubbing up and down Katsuki's shaking arms to comfort him.

"That's my good boy, baby, good boy. You cry as much as you need to, you hear me? I'll be right here for you when you need me."

What he really wants to say is, I know that this is all my fault and I feel like shit about it but he doesn't want to risk upsetting him further and holding him---reassuring him---seems to help him more than talking about it.

Hitoshi fully intends to bring Katsuki back home again, just as soon as he makes sure none of these fucks would ever try to hurt him again.

"Everything is gonna be alright, Kitten. You trust me?"

A nod. Hitoshi presses a kiss to his head.

"That's my boy. We good?"

Katsuki looks up, wiping the tears from his face with another nod. Hitoshi cups his cheeks with his hands and looks him in the eyes.

"For real. Are you good, Katsuki?"

"Y-Yeah, 'm good, babe..."

"Lemme see that smile then." Hitoshi prompts, brows wiggling into Katsuki eventually breaks out into a giggle. Hitoshi smiles down at him.

"That's what I'm talkin' about. Gimme some love."

Katsuki stands on his toes to meet Hitoshi halfway for a kiss and the older man pulls away with a loud smack that makes Katsuki smile.

"You ready to ride, cutie?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. Let's get outta here."

The air is much lighter upon them getting into the car and Hitoshi actually considers letting the top down. Katsuki buckles his seatbelt and turns to Hitoshi with a smile.

"Alright, babe. Where to next?"