8. Doctor's appointments

8. Doctor's appointments

One of the things that the gang will always have to deal with is doctors' appointments. Kirstie and Kevin will have to constantly check the progress of their transplants, and Mitch and Matt in case of a relapse. Today, the four members are going to different doctors' appointments. "I hate doctors' appointments," Mitch complained to his parents once he arrived at the hospital. Matt and Kirstie saw Mitch and approached him to say hi. "Hi, Mitchy," Kirstie said and hugged him, Matt did too.

"Since Kevin is 18, he won't be here anymore," Matt said. "Oh yeah, I forgot about that," Mitch pouted. Before their appointments, some nurses took their vital signs and then waited a little longer until Dr. Lee called Kirsite and Angelica.

"How are you today, Kirstie?" Dr. Lee asked while Kirstie and Angelica sat down in front of the doctor.

"Really good," Kirstie answered with a smile and Dr. Lee nodded.

"Let's do this quickly," the doctor said. "I got your results from your latest tests and everything seems to be going well. You are taking good care of yourself, although I do need you to drink some more water to prevent a kidney infection that could be damaged. What do you do for exercise?" Dr. Lee asked Kirstie.

"Not much because I'm not allowed to do sports, but I like to go on walks before school and I don't do P.E. Nothing crazy, I just walk around the neighborhood," she answered. Dr. Lee talked to the Maldonados for a few more moments until they were done reviewing Kirstie's latest tests.

Meanwhile, Kevin and his parents were at another hospital reviewing his scans. Kevin was nervous about having a new doctor at a new hospital, let alone being treated as Mr. Olusola. "Alright, Mr. Olusola, your results are back and everything seems good. Although, from what you've told me you haven't been exercising much," Kevin's new doctor, Dr. Wallace, said. "I've been working on my college applications and I haven't had much time to work out," Kevin admitted and the doctor nodded. "Try to work out just 20 min a day. It's important to keep your heart strong," Dr. Wallace said and Kevin nodded.

Back at the children's hospital, Matt and Mitch were just coming out of their appointments with Dr. Hayes when Matt received a text from Kevin saying that everything was going well with him.

"Nice. He was worried about going to a new hospital and having a new doctor," Kirstie said while walking out of the hospital with their parents behind them. Mitch was looking down with a worried expression on his face. "You ok, Mitchy?" Matt asked.

"Scott hasn't texted me all day. I thought he had gone to school but Beau and Mark say he never showed up," Mitch said worried. "Have you called his mom?" Kirstie asked and Mitch shook his head. He just hoped Scott was okay.

Meanwhile, at the Hoying household, Scott was lying on his bed with Bubba next to him, fighting a cold he just caught. Scott was feeling miserable and he hadn't checked his phone all day. "How are you feeling, baby?" Connie said while entering Scott's room with some medicine and a thermometer. "My head hurts," Scott said with a stuffy nose. Connie cooed and felt her son's forehead and ran her hand over Scott's chest. She put the thermometer on Scott's ear and waited until it beeped.

"101.3, not too high," Connie said and gave Scott some medicine for his headache, when her phone rang, it was Mitch. Connie answered and told Mitch that Scott was home sick with a cold and wasn't feeling well.

"Scott has a cold, he is not feeling well," Mitch told the others as they entered the high school building. "Oh no, poor Scotty," Kirstie said, feeling bad for her best friend.

After school, the gang asked Connie and Rick for permission to visit Scott. When they arrived at the Hoyings, Rick received them and let them in, the four teenagers went straight to Scott's room and saw Connie putting a washcloth on Scott's forehead. Scott saw his friends coming into his room and smiled, Connie turned around to greet her son's friends.

"Hey guys," Scott said with a raspy voice. "Hey, Scooter," Matt said.

"How are you doing?" Kevin asked.

"I've been better. My dad has a friend who is a doctor and he came to check on me. He said that because of my Leukemia, I caught a bad cold, but should be fine in a few days," Scott said.

"I'm glad," Mitch said. "We should leave so you can rest," Kirstie said and the gang said their goodbyes to Scott. Connie then tucked Scott in and kissed his hand. "I love you," she said.

"I love you too, Mom. Thank you for taking care of me," Scott said and then closed his eyes to nap. "You're welcome, my sweet boy," she whispered and then left Scott's room.