12. Summer

12. Summer

The school year is finally over, and the gang and their families are having a pool party with a barbeque at Matt's house. "Are you ready, Matt? Everyone should be arriving soon," Tammy asked her son while he was getting ready in his room.

"Yeah, I'll come down in a minute," Matt sighed, he looked at himself in the mirror and wondered how he was supposed to have a fun pool day with a missing leg.

It was almost midday when everyone started arriving at the party, the adults started to get the food ready while the teens were getting ready to swim. "Matty?" Tammy said.

"Yeah, Mom," Matt answered while following his mom into the house with his crutches. "I got you a surprise," she said and gave Matt two pool floats, one that was shaped like a donut and the other that was like a mattress. "I figured that you would find it difficult to be in the pool so I got these for you," Matt gasped and hugged her mother tightly.

"Let's get in now!" Mitch said, and then he and Kirstie jumped into the pool while Scott and Kevin helped Matt get in.

"Is the water temperature ok, guys?" Ernest asked the gang who nodded and started swimming and playing in the pool like little kids.

"This feels so nice, I haven't been in a pool in a long time," Kirstie said.

"I have but it's just for physical therapy, that ain't fun at all," Matt said while being inside his donut and the others chuckled. "This is so refreshing, it's perfect for this hot weather," Scott said.

When it was time for the food, the gang and their parents were sitting down at some tables enjoying their meals when Kevin spoke up. "I have good news," he said and caught everyone's attention. "I have been admitted to Yale with a full-ride scholarship," he said and the others cheered.

"No way. I'm so happy for you, Kev," Scott said and hugged his friend.

"You deserve it, Kurvy," Mitch said.

"What's your major, son?" Ernest asked Kevin. He knew Kevin was kind of a genius, so it wouldn't surprise him if Kevin chose a challenging major.

"I'm doing pre-med. I feel very passionate about it and after everything I've been through, it just made me want to become a doctor," he nodded. He was happy about college but also kind of nervous.

After lunch, the gang spent some more time outside and listening to music while the adults were talking inside. "How was your first year of high school, Matt?" Kevin asked the youngster.

"It wasn't like how I expected it to be, it was better. The subjects were harder yeah, but...just...the fact that I had you guys made everything much better. Of course, I made other friends, but no one like you. Thanks, guys," Matt said, tearing up a bit. Kirstie hugged him, she didn't want him to cry.

"I think we can all agree that high school is different than what we expected. But it's been fun so far. I'm glad we have each other there, the others don't understand what we've been through, and explaining to them is hard because it was a traumatic experience. Anyways, are you nervous about college, Kev?" Scott said, changing the subject.

"I am. Everything is going to be very different, but what scares me the most is how fast everything is changing," He explained.

"Change is normal, Kev and we have to look at it with a positive perspective. We are going to make mistakes, but learn from them and be more confident in ourselves," Mitch said to Kevin, who looked at him with a lot of admiration. He noticed that Mitch had become a lot more confident in himself, "Thank you, Mitchy. That was very nice."

"Are you ready for Senior year, Scotty?" Kirstie asked her blue-eyed friend. "I am. Although I won't be able to finish it," he said, looking down.

"We will make sure the time you are in Senior year is the best," Mitch told his boyfriend and then kissed him on the cheek.

"Let's make this summer the best one ever!" Matt exclaimed.