17. Last road trip

17. Last road trip

Over the past few weeks, the Hoyings have been getting ready for Scott's wish to go to the mountains. They had to ask the teens' parents permission to let them go on the road trip and called Kevin to see if he could go as well. "We are leaving early tomorrow and we will stay there for the weekend. Once we get back, we will try to keep you very comfortable here at home," Connie explained to Scott, who was sitting on the couch next to his dad, with his cannula on. Scott needs to wear his cannula at all times now, otherwise, he has trouble breathing.

"I'm very excited," he said with a huge smile. "We are glad you're happy, son," Rick said putting a hand on Scott's shoulder.

The following day, Connie was helping Scott get ready while Rick and the others, even Kevin, were getting the van ready. "Ready, son? Kevin and I will carry you downstairs and into your wheelchair to put you in the van," Rick explained and Scott nodded. Rick and Kevin carried Scott while Connie had his tank behind them.

"There he is!" Matt explained and everyone chuckled. "Everyone get in now, so we can put Scott in as well," Kevin said and everyone nodded, following Kevin's instructions.

Scott was able to get inside the van with the help of his dad. "You can lay your head on my shoulder if you get tired. It is a 5-hour drive anyway," Mitch said and Scott nodded.

"Thank you, Mitchy," Scott said.

Rick started driving and the gang was able to entertain themselves with music, some simple games, eating some snacks, and chatting. When they were three hours into the drive, Mitch suddenly hushed everyone. "Is he asleep?" Kirstie asked and Mitch nodded.

After almost 6 hours of driving, they finally arrived at the cabin they would be staying in for the weekend. "Finally!" Matt exclaimed. Rick opened the van door and took Scott's cannula off to help him into his wheelchair, pushing him into the cabin later on. "Time to unpack everything, you can stay here on the couch Scott until we are done," Kevin told Scott and he nodded.

A little while later, when everyone had finished unpacking, Connie and Rick prepared lunch for everybody and decided to eat it in the living room while they watched a movie. "What's the plan for the weekend?" Matt asked after a while.

"Going out to the snow, watching movies, ice skating at the lake, and eating a lot," Scott said, making everyone chuckle.

"Let's play UNO before going to bed," Mitch proposed, and everyone agreed, except Rick who went to bed immediately as he was tired from all the driving. The gang and Connie had a great time playing the game, they may have fought a bit but nothing they didn't solve easily.

At bedtime, everyone chose the rooms in which they would be sleeping. "My Mom and Dad have the master bedroom and there are three more. I can share a room with Mitch downstairs, Matt and Kevin can share another room, and Kirstie can have the other room with its own bathroom. Everyone agrees?" he asked and the others nodded, saying goodnight and going to their bedrooms. "Goodnight, baby," Mitch said cuddling Scott. "Goodnight, Mitchy. I love you," Scott kissed Mitch and they went to sleep.

The next morning, Kevin and Kirstie prepared breakfast which consisted of scrambled eggs and some toast, plus a cup of coffee for everyone but Kevin and Scott who drank some warm milk. After breakfast, everyone started getting ready to go out into the snow and Mitch was helping Scott get ready. He zipped his gray jacket and put his black beanie on him. "How much?" he asked after putting his cannula on Scott.

"Two," he answered. Mitch then looked directly into Scott's eyes for a minute before kissing him, Scott kissed Mitch as well for a while until he pulled apart to catch his breath. "What?" Scott asked Mitch who had tears in his eyes.

"Y-your eyes," He said. "They have lost color." Scott hugged Mitch tightly, not knowing what to say. He couldn't say he will be okay because he won't.

The gang had a great time in the snow playing around and building a snowman, Scott was sitting down on the snow but that didn't stop him from throwing snowballs at the others, and soon, they were having a snowball fight. Connie and Rick recorded them with a big smile and tears in his eyes. "This will be a fun road trip," Rick assured, putting his arm around Connie's shoulder and she leaned on him.

LA Gang (Book 3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें