UNO

Okay, so for starters, it's important to understand that Zayn has an unreasonably large crush on Niall.

Like, huge.

Now, this is difficult, because Zayn and Niall are best friends.

It's also important to note that Niall has a huge crush on Zayn, too.

"You guys are both stupid," Harry tells Niall. Niall likes to spend time with Harry because he doesn't bullshit anything. To most people this seems insensitive, but Niall likes brutal honesty.

"Rude," Niall scoffs. His crush on Zayn always ends up being the big topic of discussion with Harry, because he claims that Zayn likes Niall back. (Which, like, Zayn totally does, but Niall refuses to see reason, because he thinks Zayn is way out of his league.)

"You are," Harry says, sitting up from where he was laying in the grass, pulling out blades of grass and putting them on Niall. "Niall, he's so obviously in love with you."

"You're an idiot," Niall says, brushing the grass off his jeans and standing up.

"Where are you going?"

"Um..." Niall bites his lip. "Zayn and I were gonna get pizza."

"Seriously?" Harry groans. "You're gonna ditch me for the guy you're hung up on?"

"Uh, yeah," Niall says, without hesitation.

Harry shakes his head. "You're so whipped, dude."

Niall rolls his eyes. "Like you wouldn't do it for Liam!"

Harry ducks his head, blushing, and Niall smirks, triumphant.

- - -

"Hey," Zayn calls, beaming when he sees Niall enter the restaurant.

"Hi, Zee," Niall grins back, heart soaring. Zayn opens his arms for a hug and Niall goes in for it, nuzzling his cheek against Zayn's chest. Zayn is so familiar and safe and warm, and Niall feels the tension leak out of his shoulders as Zayn gives him an extra squeeze.

"How's it going?" Zayn asks, sitting across the booth from the blonde. Niall rests his chin in his hands, a tiny smile on his face.

"I'm okay," he shrugs, flipping through the menu. His day was fine, and he is okay, but it's the way that he says it that worries Zayn. He's downcast, not sunny like he usually is, and the thought that something could be wrong with Niall is almost terrifying to Zayn.

"Did something happen?" Zayn asks lightly, taking one of Niall's tiny, pale hands off the menu and holding it between his two larger ones.

"No," Niall mumbles, distracted by how small he looks in Zayn's grasp.

"You sure?" Zayn's golden eyes flicker from Niall's wrist to his eyes, and Niall swallows nervously. He's blushing, and isn't really sure why.

"Y-Yeah," Niall murmurs shyly, tearing his gaze from Zayn's face back to his menu. "What're you gonna get?"

Zayn decides to let it go, realizing that Niall doesn't want to talk about it. "I'll just eat some of what you get, like always."

"'Kay. I'm paying, though," Niall quips, humming cheerfully.

Zayn scoffs. "You wish."

~ ~ ~

"Rock paper scissors?" Niall questions, because ever since they got their food, they've been arguing about who's going to pay.

"Deal," Zayn nods. "Rock paper scissors..." Niall is about to put down scissors when all of a sudden Zayn is giving the cashier a twenty dollar bill. Niall sputters, searching for a response, but he can't even think of anything snarky enough. "You can pay next time," Zayn offers, even though he has no intention of letting Niall do so.

"But it was my turn," Niall pouts, even going to the lengths of stomping his foot. Zayn rolls his eyes fondly, slinging an arm over his tiny shoulders.

"Sorry, babe," Zayn responds, the pet name just slipping out. Niall's smile brightens at it, though, making Zayn's heart flutter in his chest. He hadn't even meant to say it, but if Niall doesn't mind, he'll be doing it a lot more.

~ ~ ~

"Why do you always walk me home?" Niall questions, little button nose scrunching up adorably.

"Why not?"

"I'm a big boy. I can defend myself," Niall laughs, but Zayn somehow doubts that. (In his head, Niall is a little defenseless snowflake that needs to be protected at all costs.)

Zayn shrugs. "You need protecting, you get distracted too easily."

"I'm not a damsel in distress," Niall groans.

"Nah. You're my princess," Zayn teases, and Niall's cheeks tint pink. "See you tomorrow," Zayn continues, not wanting Niall to be upset with him for teasing.

"Bye," Niall hums, giving Zayn one last hug and then going up the steps and into his house.