EPILOGUE

"I hate having Christmas Eve here," Niall mutters to Zayn as he puts the last few ornaments on the tree.

"Liar," Zayn says with a smile, nuzzling his face into his husband's neck. They've been married for five years now, and they are so insanely happy. They've had their ups and downs, of course, but they always manage to make it through. "You love it. You love everything about Christmas." He nips at a spot on Niall's neck, and he giggles, squirming away.

"Stop that," he says, but he's still smiling, just as fond as he was on their wedding day. "Liam and Harry will be here soon, and --" Literally as he's finishing his sentence, the doorbell rings, and Niall rolls his eyes.

"Don't be grumpy," Zayn says fondly. "You love Christmas. Lighten up, angel, hm?" He kisses Niall's forehead, smiling as his husband softens and goes to answer the door.

"Thanks for leaving us out in the cold for a million years, Ni," Harry says teasingly, sticking his tongue out.

"Oh, shut up! Let me see her!" He opens his arms to the bundle in Harry's arms, and with an eye roll, Harry passes the bundle to Niall. Their new baby girl, named Rosalind Pearl, was just adopted literally the day before. "Ohhhh, my goodness," Niall coos as the baby kicks her little legs and giggles. "Guys, she's beautiful! It makes me think of when Sylvie was this small!" Niall's face crumples, and Zayn lets out a half-chuckle and kisses the top of his head.

"Where's Christopher?" Zayn asks just as Harry and Liam's son comes through the doorway, stomping his little feet. He's three years old, and he flaps his arms excitedly when he sees his uncle Zayn.

"Uncle Zayn!" he cheers, running towards him as soon as Liam manages to tug his boots off. "Did you see my baby?"

"I sure did," Zayn chuckles, kissing the toddler's forehead. "You gonna be a good big brother?"

Christopher nods. "I'm gonna beat up anyone who messes with her."

That makes Zayn laugh, cradling the toddler closer. "He's a gem," he says to Liam, who just shrugs, smiling. 

"Where's Sylvie and Colin?" he asks, referring to Zayn and Niall's kids. 

"Let's go get them," he says, carrying Christopher up the stairs.

"She's so lovely," Niall says softly to Harry as he passes Rosalind back over to him. "I'm sorry! I didn't even hug you guys yet!" He hugs his best friends, squeezing them extra hard because his heart is warm and overflowing. 

"Papa," Sylvie calls as she comes down the steps. She's the same age as Christopher, and she waits patiently as Colin, her nearly-two-year old brother, toddles down the steps behind her.

"Yeah?" Niall turns when he hears his daughter calling him. 

"Can we build a snowman? Just me and Chris, the babies are too little."

"Not a baby!" Colin says, offended.

"I'll go out there with them," Zayn offers.

"Me, too," Harry says, so they tuck the kids into their snowsuits and take them outside to build their snowman.

"They are so high energy," Liam says, sounding exhausted, but there's a huge smile on his face. He's gently bouncing Rosalind in his arms as he smiles at Niall. "This is kind of insane," he admits, still smiling. "We've both been married for five years!"

"I know!" The excitement in Liam's voice makes Niall giggle all over again, and then he's hugging his best friend again. "I'm so happy you're happy," he mumbles, voice muffled against Liam's shoulder.

"I'm happy you're happy, too," Liam says gently.

- - -

"Santa's still coming, right, Daddy? I've been good?" Sylvie is close to drifting off in a pile of blankets on the floor in the living room. Christopher is curled up beside her, out like a light.

"Yes, angel, Santa is coming. You've been such a good girl. Go to sleep now." He kisses her forehead, and she smiles, satisfied. When she dozes off, he goes back into the dining room where Liam, Niall, and Harry are sitting.

"Hi," Niall says, handing him a mug of hot chocolate, and Zayn smiles, taking the seat next to his husband. 

"Merry Christmas," Liam says, glancing at his watch. It has just hit midnight. 

"Merry Christmas," Zayn says back, clinking mug against those of the three people he loves so much. His heart is glowing. The candlelight is making everything look soft and warm. "I love you all so much."

They all smile back, and Niall squeezes his hand. They don't have to say it; Zayn knows they love him, too. They have had their world torn down and built back up, but they survived that together.

If they could survive that, they could survive anything.

THE END.