TRES

Zayn feels awful for hanging up on Niall the night before. Just -- the thought of Niall being with someone else makes Zayn feel like there's a chasm being ripped through his chest. He hasn't even slept. He spent the night staring at the wall and wondering why he hadn't made his move on Niall before it's too late. 

"You're moping," Liam tells Zayn over the phone the next morning. "I'm gonna be at your house in five minutes. You should be ready."

"Ready for what?" Zayn whines, face buried in his pillow. 

"School, you idiot," Liam laughs. "Seriously, Zee. Five minutes."

So Zayn makes himself get out of bed, pulls a hoodie over his head and yanks on some jeans. He tosses a handful of Cheerios in his mouth and take a swig of orange juice -- an awful combination -- before he can hear Liam honking his car horn outside. 

"Hey," Liam says as Zayn gets into the car. Zayn just grunts in response. "Look, I get that you're upset about the whole Henry and Niall thing, but if you make him cry, I'll punch you in the nose."

Zayn rolls his eyes. "You know I'd never hurt him, Li. I just want him to be happy, even if that happiness isn't with me." He stares down at his hands. "I just don't think Henry will be the one to make him happy."

"Well," Liam sighs as he parks, turning the ignition off. "I suppose that's Niall's choice."

~ ~ ~

"You hung up on me," Niall pouts at Zayn, his lower lip quivering. "You never hang up on me. Did..." He bites his lip to stop the quivering. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Niall," Zayn breathes out. "No, no, love, you didn't do anything wrong. I...I was just surprised."

"Can I have a hug then?" He opens his arms hesitantly, blinking up at Zayn with those pretty blue eyes. Zayn can't help himself -- he tucks Niall under his chin, nestling his cheek into the tousled blonde hair.

"I'm sorry, Ni."

"S'okay," Niall hums, content to be here, hugging Zayn. 

"So this Henry guy," Zayn says, letting go of Niall just to sling his arm over the boy's shoulder. "Is he your boyfriend?"

Niall wrinkles his cute little nose. "Dunno. He's taking me to the movies tonight." 

"Oh?" Zayn asks, trying not to show Niall how much this bothers him. "What are you gonna see?"

Niall shrugs. "Insidious or something?"

"Ni, you hate horror movies," Zayn points out.

"I know," Niall mumbles, frowning. "I wanted to see the new Disney film...but he laughed when I said that, so..."

"Niall," Zayn begins to admonish, but Niall plasters a smile on his face.

"No, Zee, it's okay. It'll probably still be fun. Besides, we're going right after school, so it won't even be dark when we get out. I probably won't even have nightmares." He's smiling again. "Plus, if I do, I can just call you, right?" His smile fades when Zayn doesn't answer right away.

"Of course, babe," Zayn says, trying to hide the breaking of his heart.

~ ~ ~

L: That little bitch Henry is going to ruin our plans!!!!!!!!!!!

H: No he won't. Don't worry. It'll make Z jealous.

L: Zayn has probably already planned a place to hide his body

H: Liam omg

L: No I'm serious, like he probably has

H: It'll be fine.