DOCE

"So what does this mean?" Zayn asks Niall quietly. He's parked in front of Niall's house, and he stopped him just before he got out of the car.

"I don't know," Niall mumbles nervously, shyly. He doesn't want to say the wrong thing -- he's been doing that so much lately.

"We can just play it by ear," Zayn offers. He knows Niall hates making decisions. "We don't have to label anything just yet."

"Okay," Niall says, but his voice sounds strange. When Zayn looks over at him, Niall is staring down at his hands, face inexplicably sad. 

"What's wrong?" Niall doesn't respond, and Zayn gently takes one of Niall's hands. "Talk to me, angel. Wish I could read your mind, but I can't." He runs his thumb over the back of Niall's hand, just there, slow, gentle. Niall's shoulders untense.

"I thought you wanted to be with me," he explains quietly. "I would understand if you --"

"Stop right there," Zayn interrupts. His voice is soft, though, not rough in the slightest. "Angel, you should know by now that I want to be with you more than anything. More than anything." He squeezes Niall's hand gently, wanting to get his point across. Niall's cheeks pink. "I don't want you to feel like you have to rush into anything. You want to be my boyfriend? That's great. If not, that's okay, too." He presses a kiss to the back of Niall's hand. Niall has never been touched so gently.

"Okay," he whispers, his voice a quiet firework. 

Zayn smiles, eyes crinkled at the corners. Niall giggles at the sight -- he's never seen Zayn so happy.

"Okay," he says back. He doesn't have a solid answer, but he honestly couldn't care less. Niall loves him. This boy he's loved so long that he doesn't remember not loving him loves him back. The sky could fall right now and Zayn would be happy. This boy loves him. Nothing so beautiful has ever happened to him. Nothing so beautiful will probably ever happen again.

Niall's hands are small and fragile and cold on the sides of Zayn's face. Zayn turns his face so he can kiss gently at Niall's small palm, smiling at the way Niall's cheeks pink in response.

"This is kinda crazy," Niall mumbles. He's chewing nervously on his bottom lip.

"Mmm?"

"You love me." Niall closes his eyes and bites his lip to hold back a squeal. Everything is warm. "How bizarre."

"It's not bizarre at all." Zayn leans in to kiss Niall's forehead. "It makes more sense than anything ever has, really." 

Maybe that's true. Niall has to think about it, but maybe it is. Maybe this is all there is. Maybe all there is for him is Zayn -- Zayn amidst all the unhappiness. Zayn amidst the pain, amidst the nightmares, amidst the memories. Zayn would make all of this bearable.

Niall would be happy if all there was was Zayn.

"Yeah," he finally says. "Maybe you're right."

- - -

For the first time since the Henry incident, Niall wakes up smiling, and it's because of Zayn.

He sits up with a smile on his face. Zayn loves him. The thought is still burning like an ember in his chest. When he grabs his phone off his charger, he blurts out a laugh.

Zayn: *sends photo of a puppy in a crown*

Zayn: To start your day off right

Zayn: I love you!

Niall smiles down at his phone like an idiot. Nothing is even official yet and Zayn makes him so happy. 

Niall: You are such a nerd :')

Niall: I love you too

- - -

It is strange to feel so safe with someone -- to be totally void of fear and anxiety. Niall has never felt so calm as when he's in Zayn's arms, it's almost crazy. He leans his head against his chest. 

"Looks like someone missed me," Zayn says with a surprised chuckle, wrapping his arms back around Niall's tiny frame. "Hi, sweetheart."

"Hi," Niall giggles a bit shyly, cheek still mushed against Zayn's chest. "I did, you know. Miss you, I mean."

"Good." Zayn nuzzles his nose against Niall's before planting a kiss there. "I missed you, too." He squeezes Niall again, rocking back and forth in the middle of the hallway. "I love you."

Niall actually squeals, which is the cutest thing Zayn has ever fucking heard/seen. "That's embarrassing. I love you, too," he giggles. He finally lets go of Zayn only to have him take his hand. 

Happy as Niall is, there is fear in the back of his throat. Panic in the back of his mind. All he can think about is that this can't last -- that somehow, he will ruin this. He is too messed up and Zayn is too perfect.

Even if they are soulmates, they are destined for doom.