QUINCE

After a week, Niall is dying to be let out of the hospital. 

He's sick of bland hospital food, bad daytime television, and the concerned glances that the doctors are giving him. He mostly feels okay, except for when he sleeps. At night, his friends leave when visiting hours end, and he is alone in his room, with only the beeps of the heart monitor to soothe him to sleep.

He always dreams of Louis, no matter how much he doesn't want to. He wakes up to the taste of blood, having bit his tongue in his sleep. He wants nothing more than to go home, to be free.

Usually all of his friends come to visit him together after school, but one day, Liam comes alone.

"Hi!" Niall says, surprised, finishing up his cup of green jello.

"Hey, kiddo." Liam sits at the side of his bed. "How're you feeling today? You look like shit." Liam's smile is fond, clearly teasing.

"Fuck you," Niall laughs back. He is so tired. Not sleeping is better than dreaming about Louis, so he's been trying to stay awake for the past few days. "Where's everyone else?"

"I came a bit early. Wanted to see you on my own." Liam chews on his lip, studying Niall's face. "So what's the plan, Ni?"

"About what?" Niall is playing with the thin bedspread, avoiding Liam's gaze.

"About Zayn." Liam taps Niall's chin affectionately, both to show he's not angry at him and to get his attention. "Are you gonna take my advice?"

Niall winces. "I don't know, Li...I'm so..." He gestures lamely at himself. His hands are trembling. Liam cups both of Niall's tiny, cold hands in his large, warm ones.

"I know you're scared. Zayn knows, too. I don't want to push you too hard, Ni, please know I'm not trying to do that." He gives Niall's hands a gentle squeeze. "I need you to consider this. I know you need your time to heal, and I'm not suggesting that you throw all of that away just to be with Zayn. I'm just saying...that boy loves you so much. I think he would be honored to be part of your healing process."

"He already is," Niall mumbles. "You and Harry are, too."

"We know we are," Liam says, gentle, patient. Ever patient and understanding Liam. "Just...Niall, when he comes by later, watch how he looks at you. Pay attention. Then make your decision." Liam stares at Niall until he nods slowly, and then a grin spreads across his face. "Okay. Scoot over." Niall shifts in the bed, making room for Liam to lay beside him. "I'm gonna kick your ass at Jeopardy." 

Niall lets out a laugh. Liam is an idiot, sure, but he's one of Niall's favorite idiots.

- - -

Zayn and Harry show up a bit later, right when Niall is waking up. He hadn't realized he'd fallen asleep; his neck was a bit sore from leaning on Liam's shoulder at an awkward angle. He blinks himself awake to see Liam attempting to do his homework with Harry in his lap. Zayn is leaning against the door, smiling a little.

"Hi," Niall chirps a bit shyly.

When Zayn smiles back, it melts Niall's heart to pudding. He tries to control the smile spreading across his face, but his lips are twitching. Zayn sits at the edge of Niall's bed, taking the smaller boy's hand and pressing kisses on the back.

"Hi," Zayn smiles back. And, God, this is everything Niall has ever wanted. Here, right now. Zayn holding his hand, looking at him like he's the one he's always been waiting for. Everything warm and pale and soft. Harry, curled up in Liam's lap, smiling so hard his dimples are showing. The two of them yelling at the TV, shouting over each other, so in love. They are so in love. Niall is so in love, he is overflowing. He has these three people he loves the most in the whole entire world, he doesn't care. For a few minutes, he doesn't waste a thought on Louis Tomlinson or Henry or Jim and he is here, is he is present, and he is in love.

"Okay," he tell Zayn. "But you have to be careful with me."

"What?" Zayn asks, but the tiny, soft parenthesis at the corner of his lips tells a different story. It tells Niall that he knows, but he wants Niall to say it. He needs to hear it. He needs to be sure.

"I'll be yours," Niall says, and he says it quietly. He's scared Harry and Liam are going to laugh at him, but they are quiet. Everyone is so quiet. "Really, I think I always have been." He peers shyly up at Zayn. 

There are tears in Zayn's eyes, and Niall is scared that they both are going to cry. 

They don't.

Zayn just cups both of Niall's hands in his, kisses his knuckles. "Of course you have," he whispers. The sound is safe. "I've always been yours, too."

If Niall ever doubted the soulmate principle before, he doesn't now.