Don't Remind Me

Howie ran his fingers through his newly cut hair, impatiently. He stood in line at the car rental place, he laughed into his cell phone nervously "This can't be happening? I don't get how this happened? That is so irresponsible!"

He was relieved to be back from their international leg of the tour. The group was getting two months off, before resuming their tour in August at the Staple Center in Los Angeles, California.

"Me neither, but all our shit is on hold. The houses, the accounts, the cars. Do you even have cash, you can't use your bank accounts." AJ, his bandmate muttered through the phone.

Howie sighed heavily, so far his vacation was not turning out the way he wanted, "Uh...I still have about fifteen hundred. But I'm a ways away. How can they accuse us of not paying taxes for two years!"

"Damn it, we are fucked D. If this is not a mistake...they can take it all from us. Brian is really upset; he'll probably have to take Leighanne and Baylee to a hotel, because they want to confiscate everything: the houses and the cars. Nick doesn't even know, I just hope he doesn't try using his cards. Well I'd rather them take it all then go to jail." AJ gasped, "Fuck, I just couldn't be anyone's bitch."

Howie smirked, "Well you might want to take off the fingernail polish and the eyeliner, cause the cops can pick you up without notice. Then you wouldn't have much of a choice. Huh?" Howie chuckled, as he heard his best friend cursing at him.

"Very funny, asshole. So listen I didn't call you just for that. I need a favor from you."

Howie rolled his eyes. Knowing AJ, who was not only his band mate, but his best friend, he hadn't called him for nothing "What is it AJ?"

"Ok...well Millie, I had promised to fly her out here and check out her dress. However, with all this I don't have the cash for it. Soooo" there was a pause, as he waited for Howie to nag him first. "Ok...so I was wondering if you would bring her with you, on your road trip. I know you wanted to be alone, with the divorce and all, but her company might be good. Maybe..."

"AJ you're a sick man. Are you throwing your fiancé on me...jeez! You didn't have to remind me of the divorce thank you. Speaking of split ups, you're still going to tell her about calling off the wedding. Right?"

"Yeah, of course. I have to, I'm just not in love with her...I never was. Millie is the best, but I'm just not the guy for her."

Howie laughed out loud, catching a couple of odd looks his way "You're an idiot. Well whatever floats your boat man...as for company on my road trip. I don't want it!"

"Please Howie, don't be a dick!"

"I am not a dick!" Howie yelled once again, getting a group of eyes his way. He placed his hand over the phone as he jumped and kicked the air, muttering to himself. Sighing hard he placed the phone over his ear again. "Fine...just because I know that Millie is a nice girl and she deserves the truth."

"Awesome, pick her up in an hour, she's already ready to go. Thanks..."

"AJ, she's ready? What if I didn't say yes?"

"I knew you would say yes, your Sweet D you give in easily. So you should be careful in case the cops pick you up first." AJ let out a loud laugh and hung up the phone.

Fucker! Why I take his crap is beyond me. Then again, he is my best friend. Millie, I remember her kinda long dark hair, sad eyes...

His thoughts were interrupted by the cashier handing over a key "It's the Mustang convertible right in front Mr. Dorough. Have a nice and safe trip." the older man grinned.

"Thanks, I plan on it."

Howie was on his way to Millie's house, she didn't live far from where he did, so he thought. The sun was now slowly going down and he was barely pulling into her driveway. Traffic and AJ's awful directions had made him an hour late.