The Watermelon Thump

Millie threw the dress into the trunk, luckily nothing had happened to it. She leaned on the car, her arms crossed as Howie finished the transaction with the attendant.

"So you didn't come to the kitchen this morning? You missed the big kiss!" he laughed, knowing she was still mad. She didn't respond and continued to look ahead as she opened the door and sat down. He sat next to her, fastening his seat belt. "Millie, I don't want you to be mad at me."

She turned to look at him, her eyes saddened "I'm not mad. I just made a promise to myself that wouldn't bother you, unless I REALLY have to. I don't want to make your trip worse than it already is."

He backed up and headed out of Baton Rouge. "Have it your way!" he muttered.

It was three hours into the drive and Millie hadn't said a word.

She finally spoke up to ask him for a break and something to drink. He stopped at a pretty secluded gas station and entered, Millie trailing behind. They each picked something to drink and a snack, paid for their gas and headed back out.

Howie finished pumping the gas, as a man approached him "You got any change?" the man asked.

"No, I'm sorry." Howie responded and made his way towards the door, at the moment he opened it, the man pulled out a gun and shakily pointed it at him, "Whoa! What are you doing?" Howie asked, his voice shaky.

"What the hell?" Millie yelped, giving Howie a horrified look.

"Get out of the car..." he demanded, waving the gun around "Hurry I don't have much time." he gawked at Millie as she rounded the car to join Howie. "Now empty your pockets, come on" he yelled as Howie took out everything from his pockets and placed them on the car.

"Look man, take what you want...just...I need my wallet ok!" the man made them back up as he waved the gun at them again.

He snatched the wallet, took out whatever money Howie had left and threw it at him. Then proceeded to take the keys. "Alright honey let's see the necklace."

Millie's heart sank as she placed her hand on the gold locket around her neck "No, please! My mother gave me this locket."

"Very touching, but I want it." without warning he stretched his hand, clasping it over the locket and yanked it off her neck.

Howie turned to look at her, she was instantly in tears as she watched the man stuff the necklace in his pocket "Now you two back up!" he yelled, making Millie grab hold of Howie's hand, the two backing up in unison. "Turn around, both of you," the man demanded.

She squeezed his hand, expecting the worst. They both closed their eyes, waiting for the man's next move. Then a sense of relief and anger ran through them as they heard the man zoom off in the Mustang.

"Are you ok?" Howie asked, wrapping an arm around a trembling Millie. "Millie!" he lifted her chin with his fingers.

Her face was fear struck and a single tear slid down her cheek "We just got car jacked, in the middle of nowhere. He took my locket. My bag." she buried her face in his shoulders as he caressed her head.

"I'm sorry Millie. He'll get caught, let me see your phone, we'll call the rental place." After all the explaining to the store attendant they received no help. He said the next town was at a walking distance. So they set off on their voyage to someone who would listen. "He took all the cash, we don't have shit!"

"I have two hundred in my boot." Millie whispered as she bent down and dug in her boot. "Here" she handed over the money to Howie.

"That's a smart move." he smiled "Hey I see a bar or whatever that is..." he said pointing at the crowded parking lot.