Surprise

It was the end of the week and Millie sat happily caressing her new little friend. He was back to his peachy color, he was more alert, and his eyes gazed curiously at her. "I wish I could keep you...it's like your mine already." she caressed his smooth face with her finger.

"It's official..." Benny said, prancing cheerfully into the NICU with a small card in hand "Look at this!" she turned the card around and it read 'baby Elijah' they both smiled "That's his name now."

"Really?" Millie looked up anxiously at Benny.

"Yup, we all decided that we can't keep calling him 'preemie' 'baby' so he's got a name." Benny's smile beamed.

She turned her gaze back at Elijah "You've got a name now...you like it?" she continued circling her finger over his cheek.

Benny placed the card on the side of his bed, and then turned around with a frown "Then there is a not so good official news too." Millie questioned her with her raised eyebrows, Benny let out a sigh. She knew that the news would break Millie's heart even if it didn't happen right away. "He's being put up for adoption. The mother never signed him over, but she will hopefully come in sometime next week."

"Someone could adopt him now...? You think I could? I mean...I have a steady job, I live in a nice house, in a nice neighborhood. He'd have a grandpa and maybe if Howie decides to come back...he'll have a father." she almost sounded like a child that wanted a toy, really bad.

"I'm not sure, I suppose you could. We would have to wait, you know. He's going to be here at least a full month or two. So you have time." she patted Millie on the shoulder. "Your lunch is over, you should go before they ban you from the NICU." she laughed as Millie handed over Elijah.

"Ok...I won't be coming later today. I'm having dinner with my father, at a fancy restaurant. Which means there is some news."

Benny laughed again as she cradled the little man in her arms "Maybe he has a step mom for you...?"

Millie playfully glared at her "Don't even joke about it...see ya" she jogged back to her station.

Howie flung his bag across the room, it landed neatly in the corner. The frustration was at its peak, he wanted to catch AJ and just strangle him. He had lost all this time and they still hadn't found him. Luckily Leighanne's whining had driven Brian to getting them all on a plane and back home.

He was tempted to try the hospital again, maybe he would find her there, but he was too exhausted to be turned down again. So he opted for hopping into a warm and relaxing shower, then going out to get some dinner.

"Welcome to Koi," a hostess greeted.

Millie straightened out her lacy blue baby doll dress as she entered the restaurant patio behind her father, the place was welcoming, with votive flickering candles, bamboo sticks hung against the walls and a big Buddha hung above a fireplace. He took her hand as they entered the crowded and busy room. A long sushi bar lined the wall, the place was dimly lit, and the walls were covered with red and gold colors. Round wooden tables were almost clustered together, the twosome took a seat, she looked around uncomfortably. There was a buzz of voices and laughter in the air, the clinking of utensils against plates, the sizzling of the noodle's being fried in the background.

"So dad...uh what brings us here? This place a celebrity spot?" she whispered over the table.

He smiled "I have a surprise..." he didn't say anything else as they sat in silence for a couple of minutes. "So how is Elijah? I'm so glad that they gave him the name you chose." he placed his hand over hers.

She smiled widely at the sound of the baby's name "Oh I know...I am so happy. Speaking of Elijah dad..." she paused unsure to voice her plans. "Do you think they would let me adopt him?"