[4] Choices, choices

By the time it was morning and Ayato was getting ready for school, he was getting ushered out of the house by his mom. 

"You need to go before you're late. You don't want to keep your friends waiting, do you?" His mom happily smiled as she helped him pack up to get ready, seeming more excited than he was.

"Mom, I got this." He firmly said as he snatched his bag from her hands. "I can get ready just fine on my own. Why are you in my room?"

"Because!" His mother exclaimed, her face lighting up. "You told me you made new friends at school. Any mother would be excited! Maybe you can bring them over sometime for dinner. That would be fun, right?"

"Mom," Ayato sighed as he put on his coat and shoes. "They're just my classmates. We're not at that level yet."

"Yet, you say." His mother softly repeated, nearly squealing at the suggestion. "My boy is growing up. It only seems like yesterday when you used to play with your friends in kindergarten."

"You're exaggerating," Ayato commented, grabbing his bag and turning to his mom. "I'm out. I might be home later because we have to choose clubs, so don't wait for me with dinner."

"Have fun!" His mother called after him as he left the house and walked towards school.

This time, as he rounded the corner, he made sure to go slow and be careful, hoping to avoid a repeat of yesterday. He wasn't surprised to see Osano standing there, looking at his phone, as he didn't seem to notice Ayato's presence. The sight gave him an idea as he silently approached the other, unaware that he was standing behind him as he blew into his ear.

"EEK!" Osano let out a high shriek as he recoiled, jumping away from the other with a fearful expression. His face reddened once he realized who it was, and he turned frustrated. "Aishi-kun! Don't approach me like that! I thought you were someone else!"

"Like who?" Ayato innocently asked, although he couldn't help but be amused. However, his amusement didn't last long as Osano fell silent, eyes widening. "N-no one. Geez! Do you always get into other people's business like that?"

When Ayato didn't answer, Osano turned his head away, prodding his hands on his hips. "Whatever! Just don't do that again, or I'll kick you next time. Then we'll see if it's still funny to you."

Ayato was confused as to why Osano got all worked up. His expression of fear seemed too real for someone getting scared by a little prank like that. When Ayato wanted to step away, Osano pulled him in by making him more curious about his life. Now, although he didn't intend to, he can't help but wonder what's bothering him. Maybe Osano is more interesting than he lets on, after all.

Before the two could talk any further, a perky voice greeted them. "Good morning, guys! I see we're all early today," Taro commented as he joined the two, prompting them to start walking.

"Except for you, you're the last one again," Osano remarked, his sharp gaze shooting from Taro to Ayato. "And someone else thinks it's funny to scare people first thing in the morning."

"You scared Osano?" Taro asked in surprise, a hint of amusement in his voice. "I would pay to see that again. Man, now I wish I had left the house earlier instead of sleeping longer."

"You're absurd!" Osano exclaimed with a blush.

Taro laughed at his friend, slumping his arm over Ayato's shoulders. "Next time, make sure you scare him when I'm near. It's been a while since I saw him get pranked."

"Yeah, because I kick you otherwise." Osano rolled his eyes.

Taro cringed as he recalled a memory, "That hurt a lot. I was still sore days after."