[24] Boy's Dinner

Pastries, chocolates, desserts.

Savoury snacks, cookies, main courses.

The counters of the small kitchen were filled with all kinds of dishes, lining up the entire surface with plates.

Shocked, Ayato eyed the sight, watching Amao move around from where he was sitting at the table.

When he was invited to the club to taste his cooking, he hadn't expected him to make this much, let alone the variety in the types of recipes he had been cooking. The number of choices felt overwhelming, leaving Ayato to wonder whether he would be able to finish any of these.

At least he knew it wasn't poisoned.

As he sighed, Ayato's eyes trained on Amao's back, who was humming to some tune. "Did you have to make this much? It seems a bit excessive."

"Hm?" Amao paused, glancing at him over his shoulder with a smile. "It's fine," he reassured him before turning back to cooking. "If we have leftovers, I can give them to the club members or pass them out to students around the school."

"Right." Ayato trailed off, noting he came right after the remaining club members left. He doubted their ability to eat and try every dish.

When it seemed like Amao was finally done, he turned around and walked to the table, placing a plate of chocolates before Ayato.

With a suspicious look, Ayato examined the chocolate before looking up at him, his eyes narrowing. "Chocolate? I didn't exactly have a good experience trying your last ones."

"That is unfortunate," Amao said, flashing a sympathetic smile before chuckling. He rolled up his blouse sleeves, placing his hands on the table as he leaned in. "But I can assure you, there wasn't anything in there that wasn't supposed to be, and the same goes for these chocolates."

Ayato regards his close position to him, raising an eyebrow at the placement of his hands and the nearness of his presence. As his gaze returns to the plate of small blocks of chocolates scattered about, he relents, reaching out to grab a sample. It couldn't hurt, right? No idiot would try feeding poison to someone right in front of them, especially considering what happened recently.

Feeling hesitant but determined, Ayato brought the chocolate to his mouth before finishing it in one bit, slowly biting on the chewy texture. It was sweet and sticky, and the taste of milk chocolate and vanilla extract overpowered his taste buds, filling him with a sense of content. These were definitely better than the previous ones, and that's just talking about the flavour.

Ayato noticed Amao's expression, clearly eager to hear his thoughts. After finishing the chocolate, he ran a tongue over his inner walls, removing the leftover smear before nodding.

"It's good." He admits in a casual tone, not wanting him to get any ideas.

Despite his neutral behaviour, Ayato's words seemed to uplift his spirits, brightening his face and widening his smile. "Really? You're not just saying that because I made them for you?"

"No, I'm not just saying that," Ayato echoed, his tone tinged with annoyance as he bit back a groan.

"Alright," Amao breathed a sigh of relief, pulling away from the table and running a hand through his brown locks. He let his gaze slide along the counter, spotting the array of foods he had prepared for the two of them to indulge in. With a satisfied smile, he began moving the rest of the dishes. "Let's not stop here. I made plenty for us to try. I won't let you leave until your belly is full and your suspicions are cleared."

"My suspicions don't need to be cleared-" Ayato started to argue, only to be cut off by a cookie being shoved into his mouth. He groaned, muttering muffled curses as he grabbed the cookie and bit down, savouring the chocolate chip goodness.