[15] Plan B

The sound of an alarm rang through the apartment.

Stirring from his deep slumber, Ayato tiredly opened his eyes, registering the unfamiliar surroundings. His mind wandered back to yesterday, recalling the events that led up to his spontaneous stay, and he realised he was in his teacher's apartment.

Footsteps sounded through the hall, and Ayato's eyes darted towards the door. He found his teacher walking into the room. Noticing Ayato sitting up, Mido smiled. "You're awake. Good morning."

"Morning," Ayato mumbled, his eyes lowering to his outfit. "You're...dressed." He noted his teacher's formal attire.

Mido chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "Of course, I still have to give the classes while you're resting." He gestured to his attire. "So, how do I look? Do I pass the check?"

Ayato squinted, examining his teacher's clothes. Even though he didn't share Osano's enthusiasm, he had to admit that his teacher was good-looking, with a handsome face and a strong body.

Nodding, Ayato gave him a thumbs-up. "You're fine."

"I'll take fine," Mido chuckled. He walked over to Ayato and touched his forehead to check his temperature. His teacher hummed in thought, "Your fever seems to have gone down a bit. It looks like the towel helped after all."

Ayato nodded as Mido stepped back, kneeling beside his bed to face him. "I'll be gone for the day. There's some food in the fridge, and I'll refill your water. Are you good to take care of yourself while I'm away?"

"I'll be fine. I'm not a little kid anymore." Ayato insisted, and Mido couldn't help but laugh at his serious face. "Alright, I'll trust you to look over the house. If anything's wrong, you can call me on the landline. The number's written on the paper next to it."

"I'll remember that," Ayato glanced at the clock. "Aren't you supposed to leave now?"

Mido followed his gaze, noting the time. "You're right." Taking his leave, Mido stood up, playfully ruffling the boy's hair. "Then I'll see you in the evening. Make sure to take your medicine and be mindful of your fever."

"I will," Ayato promised. With a satisfied smile, Mido retracted his hand, bidding him goodbye as he left the room. The sound of the door closing echoed through the apartment as Ayato watched the open door of his bedroom. He gazed at his bag, constructing a plan, as he made up his mind.

There was plenty of time before the school day ended, meaning he had enough time to sneak out of the house, into the school, and finish his objective. Feeling his stomach turning, Ayato figured he should eat a little before going out.

He struggled to get dressed, taking both phones and hiding them in his bag. Putting on his cap to hide his bandages and a subtle black sweater with pants, he looked like any other regular person on the street, unrecognizable to the rest.

Ayato headed for the kitchen, finding food in the fridge and helping himself. As he glanced at the time, he concluded that his teacher must be in class right now, a perfect time for him to sneak into the building unnoticed.

As Ayato passed the counter, he noticed the dirty dishes from yesterday's dinner. He decided to clean them as a sign of gratitude to his teacher, and maybe it might help him in the long run.

After doing the dishes, Ayato left the house, making sure to place a small piece of paper between the door so he could get back in without keys. Leaving the house unattended shouldn't be a problem, considering the building's security. As Ayato headed out of the apartment complex and to the nearest bus stop, he began his journey to school, noting all the things he needed to take care of.